Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.house,sci.energy,sci.environment
From: John De Armond
Subject: Re: $30M refrigerator design prize won by Whirlpool
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 93 00:07:22 GMT

jmc@SAIL.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) writes:

>Some years ago, my daughter complained to General Electric about
>how noisy a refrigerator was, and received in reply a nice
>brochure explaining that the refrigerator was indeed noisy, but
>it was economical of energy.

I certainly can't see the connection between noise and efficiency.  Noise
is primarily related to compressor speed, mufflers or lack thereof,
vibration isolation of the compressor and condensing space insulation.
Knowing GE, I imagine they eliminated the mufflers to save a half cent.

And speaking of GE, when I was the co-owner of a refrigeration service
shop (most of the 70s) we replaced more GE compressors than all other
makes combined.  On a more personal note, both my mom's and my refrigerator
puked their compressors within 6 months of being out of their 5 year
warranties.  If you ever cut a tiny little GE compressor open, you can see
why they're so fragile.  Tiny little bearings, very high speed,
normal operational temperatures right at the edge.  Some even have separate
oil coolers.  I wouldn't take a GE frige now if it was given to me.

John

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.house
From: John De Armond
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 93 20:45:23 GMT

constant@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Tino) writes:

>In article <104275@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt0603f@prism.gatech.EDU (Douglas
>Alan Harrell) writes:
>
>>When I finish school
>>and can think about buying new appliances again, quietness will be a major
>>factor for me. I worry about the reliability, though, because experience has
>>shown me that a reonditioned 20 year old frig ( made with lots o' steel, just
>>like the cars) has lasted me longer than the newer models. Someone in another
>>article mentioned a one-year compressor motor failure time? Ug.

>That is, until that old fridge needs a recharge and it can't be done.

Of all the refrigerators I own, my old 1928 GE MonitorTop is my favorite.
It weighs about 300 lbs and uses a very quiet low speed hermetic compressor
on top.  It's watts/cu ft is lower than any of my modern refrigerators.
Oh, and it uses sulfur dioxide as the refrigerant.  Never seems to need
charging.

I agree with Doug.  I'd go back further than 20 years though. That would
only put you in the 70s and 70s refrigerators were shit, particularly GE's.
The 60s are a different matter.  I have a Frigidair in my cabin in the
mountains that my parents bought in 1959 or 60.  It is not frost-free but
only needs defrosting once a year.  It is also uses a low speed compressor,
is more efficient than my new ones and has never needed any service other
than door gaskets.