Index Home About Blog
From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Subject: Re: SOLDERING CABLE ENDS
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 15:17:01 GMT

Mike Borean writes:

> This has probably been asked and answered a number of
> times... But...  How do you solder the ends of shift/brake cables.
> I have tried with a couple of different solders and flux to no
> avail.  The solder just keeps dripping off.  What is the trick?

This sounds like the "No loose ends" syndrome.  I take it you refold a
pointed end on the toilet paper after use and have it pay out on the
back side.  There is no need to do anything to cable ends unless you
have poorly designed brakes and derailleurs.  In fact, if a soldered
cable end is compressed at the end, it will take on a form that will
not spring back into the original round cable.

Jobst.Brandt@stanfordalumni.org

From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 00:47:21 GMT

Leo Lichtman writes:

>> sounds like the "No loose ends" syndrome. clip) There is no need to
>> do anything to cable ends unless you have poorly designed brakes
>> and derailleurs.

> Jobst, I just came back from the bathroom, where I carefully
> unfolded and flattened the end of my toilet paper.  I don't want to
> be accused of having any syndromes.

> But, if there is no need to do anything to the ends of cables, how
> come I see so many frayed cable ends (on other people's bikes)?

You tell me.  I've trimmed many cables to length adjusted brakes and
derailleurs without any special cutters or soldering the ends.  They
work fine.  There were once brakes and derailleurs that kinked and
flattened cables and required cutting the cable off to remove it from
the clamp.  It is these to which I refer with "poorly designed...".
I've been using Campagnolo brakes and various derailleurs with no such
problems for years and my equipment is far older than the stuff people
are mentioning.