Index Home About Blog
Date: 21 Mar 1996
From: emailjunk.dev.nul@quijote.in-berlin.de (Hans-Joachim Zierke)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: replacement for hyperglide chain

<no name> writes:

> The Nashbar people no longer carry hyperglide chains.  They list IG 90 and
> IG 51 from Shimano, whatever these are.  They also carry Campy Record,
> Taya relief, and Sachs SC40 chains.  Does anyone know which I can use
> with my hyperglide cassette?

IG 90 and IG 51 are 7.1 mm again, and compatible with HG.

The Sachs SC 40 works well with HG, and has the best price/durability
ratio. The riveting is less strong than with more expensive Sachs chains,
so don't shift it brutally under load.

The Campy chain is a Sachs chain, and works well with HG.

The Taya - hmmh - it has lots of elastic elongation, and wears the
sprockets faster than other chains.

hajo

--
   Your advertisement of another meaningless web page could stand here!

From: hajo@quijote.Huellhorst.Zierke.com (Hans-Joachim Zierke)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Chain quality
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 20:17:27 GMT

Matt King schrieb:

> What's the difference between good chains and bad chains, expensive
> and cheap?  Is it the weight, the durability, or what?

The most important feature for durability is pin hardness. The outside of
pins is hardened and coated, usually with a process called "inchromieren"
in German, which my English dictionary does not know about.

Most chain manufacturers have used this only for expensive chains, the
first exception was Sedis (now Sachs). The second, much later, was Shimano.
So the durability diffence of cheap and expensive Sachs and Shimano chains
is quite low.

There is also no difference in shifting performance of cheap and expensive
in the chains _of one manufacturer_ like Shimano or Sachs, as long as there
are no different widths involved.

Differences exist in tolerances. For example, roller hardness. A roller
that is too soft, might get broader in very hard use of the chain (probably
not in road racing use, where chain force is lower). This would result in a
stiff link. Such tolerances are typically in better control for expensive
chains.

Also, pin riveting is better with expensive chains. The force that's needed
to drive out the pin will be higher. But - if the chain isn't riveted when
mounting, it is as weak as its weakest link, and I don't see a lot of
advantage. Normally, only people who shift under load need pin riveting.

> And will it
> have much effect in practice if I'm only running something as simple
> as a 6-speed freewheel on the back?

Get a Sachs 40. This is the modern form of a black Sedis.

hajo

--
                 Waiting for uucp-i/2

Index Home About Blog