Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: jbrandt@hpl.hp.com (Jobst Brandt)
Subject: Re: Silca frame fit pump?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 16:46:13 GMT

Don Keenan writes:

> I'm trying to replace a white 50 cm Silca frame fit pump for my wife's
> bike. I've been unable to find a shop in the area (Los Angeles) that
> carries them and one place said they were out of production.

That's progress.  Silca frame fit pumps were made for racing in the
days when solo tire changes were still part of the sport.  Racers
wanted a pump that was ultimately light and had a substantial swept
volume.  Since wheel changes became standard, only recreational
bicyclists need frame fit pumps and the Silca, that required a bit of
strength and skill, was no longer in demand.

I think you have heard of valve stems breaking, pistons shooting
across the road, and inability to get more than 60 psi.  The result is
heavier pumps with 50% smaller pistons and short enough to fit
anywhere.  That these pumps take 200 or more strokes is no concern
compared to the problems encountered with the Silca pump.  I have
stockpiled a few Silcas and am sad to have seen them pass into
oblivion.  RIP along with good derailleur chains.

Jobst Brandt      <jbrandt@hpl.hp.com>

Index Home About Blog