Index Home About Blog
From: jbrandt@hpl.hp.com (Jobst Brandt)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Jobst, Can one use a 26-28 tire with a 19mm rim?
Date: 11 Aug 1997 16:08:07 GMT

Keith R. Olbrantz writes:

> Jobst, thanks for the reply.  I was going to put a wider tire than
> my usual 700x23 Michelins on (all black rubber, of course) and
> wanted to know if they would work okay with the rims, since Mavic
> recommends only 18-23 tires for my 19mm wide rim.  Are you
> suggesting to just ride the 23's?  Why does Mavic recommend only up
> to 23's.

I don't know.  With mountain bike rims being the same width as many
road rims, but using 2 inch tires, it seems there shouldn't be any
problem with fitting a fatter tire on your narrow rim... except that,
at the same inflation pressure, rim stress increases with tire size.
Maybe these rims are too thin.  I am not familiar with them.  I use
Mavic MA-2's and they work well with most any tire except possibly
spaghetti thin 700-18's.

Jobst Brandt      <jbrandt@hpl.hp.com>

Index Home About Blog