Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.rural
Subject: Re: -google_groups- Re: Walmart Prices: Urban vs Rural?
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:29:35 -0400

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:00:12 -0400, "h" <tmclone@searchmachine.com> wrote:

>>I carry enough cash to handle my small day to day expenses.
>
>Yet I  can't remember the last time any of my purchases was less than $80,
>which is WAY more cash than I wish to carry.

I suppose that's one way to do things.  Of course, you miss a lot of good
deals that way.

Fer'instance, I bought my GMC/Izuzu cube van (medium duty delivery truck) for
about a third of the NADA high wholesale price because when I spotted it
sitting in what turned out to be a small bank president's front yard, I had
several thousand in my pocket and could make the deal on the spot.  I needed a
delivery truck badly and was carrying enough for what I thought would be a
binding down payment until I could hit my safe for the rest of the cash.
Turned out I had enough so that when I flashed the cash, he took my offer.  My
offer was half the price on the sign in the truck window.

I always carry substantial cash because I've found that it makes doing deals
much easier.  Just in case anyone gets any ideas, there's a revolver in the
other pocket :-)

I don't mind negotiating even for new purchases.  Even at chain stores.  The
store manager has much latitude.  Usually all it takes is something to the
effect "I have this much cash (flashes cash) and I'm willing to spend it for
this item.  If that's acceptable then we have a deal.  If not, then I'll go
elsewhere."  Flashing green has a funny effect on people.  Makes 'em get all
wobbly-kneed and weak.

Of course, I'm not going to be able to negotiate for a $50 drill but, say, a
$2000 utility building?  Yep, worked at Home Depot.  Having a Lowe's right
across the street helped a lot :-)