Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: misc.rural
Subject: Re: Outdoor lights in the Country - What Gives?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:17:37 -0500

Not just drugs.  The general decline in decency and morals, I'm
afraid.  That has become apparent in Tellico, TN where I have my
summer home.  For the first oh, 25 years of ownership, I barely
latched the door when I was gone.  After the first burglary, I
installed a dial-out alarm system.  After two years of having all my
firewood stolen (nothing to do with drugs, just some scumbag too lazy
to get his own), I've installed video cameras and a DVR that will
phone home with the video whenever the motion detectors trip.  Sadly,
I had to include motion-activated lighting too.  I hate the changes
and am about ready to go along with my neighbors and gate the main
road in.

All my neighbors have had similar problems.  Part of the problem is
that mommy and daddy give the kiddies the car and a credit card and
turn 'em loose.  When kids still worked for their gas money, our
little settlement was too far away for them to drive to and hang out.

Not anymore.  Just about every time I go up, I get to pick up beer
cans, cigs and wrappers and used rubbers out of my driveway.  I don't
particularly mind them partying on my property without asking but I do
mind the litter and petty vandalism.  I've caught 'em in my drive more
than once.  I just pull my cube van that I use for a pickup truck
across the drive and then go about my business.  If I remember to move
it before I go to bed then they don't have to spend the night :-)

John

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:46:21 -0800, Gene <Gene@nowhere.com> wrote:

>>What is the purpose of having lights on outside your house all night
>>long? I could maybe see using them when you are doing chores outside
>>like getting firewood, etc. On top of that, I especially don't see the
>>purpose of the lights that shine up onto the house from the ground. Do
>>the people want to iliuminate their home so it can be seen from space?
>
>  Sadly enough, drug usage has been chipping at the cornerstone of
>america. So, thefts in rural USA have climed and thus, having lights
>"On" has deterred" many a thief...
>
>  Now if it's something that has the power to fry chickens at 40
>paces, then they simply had maybe a few too many growing lights for
>their interior farm operation.

Index Home About Blog