Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Subject: Re: "re-exciting" a dead generator
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 15:50:32 -0400
Message-ID: <>

You don't run the generator, normally.  Just apply 12 volts DC from a
battery or a charger or something to the power outlet for a second.
This re-magnetizes the stator and rotor and should make it come back
up normally.

On the odd chance that this doesn't do it, a more complex procedure
does involve running the engine.  With the engine running, momentarily
apply 12 volts to the output with a 300 or more watt lamp in series
with the 12 volts.  The lamp is to protect the 12 volt source from the
120 VAC when the generator comes up, as it will practically instantly.

having to do procedure two is extremely rare.  In fact, I can't think
of an instance in the last 20 years where that was necessary.  For
that matter, I can't recall having to "flash the field" on a consumer
type generator in that length of time.  If the generator doesn't come
up immediately when cranked then there is probably something wrong
with it.

As with anything involving electricity, yes you can fry something if
you really botch the procedure.  Little chance of that if you follow
my procedure.


On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:56:31 GMT, "no spam" <> wrote:

>I just read the generators can lose their magnetism (or some sort) if
>allowed to sit for long times.  This prevents them working.  In the article
>it was suggested that you could fix the problem by starting the generator
>and running electricity into one of the outlets.
>1) Is it true that this can happen?
>2) Will the 'fix' suggested work?
>    2a) any chance it will fry the genny if done wrong?
>3) Is there a better/safer way to fix the problem?

Index Home About Blog