Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Any other stores (besides Walmart) that lets you stay free ?
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 19:23:27 -0400

On Mon, 9 May 2005 17:15:40 -0500, DaveInLakeVilla@webtv.net (Dave in
Lake Villa) wrote:

>Any others that you know of ?? Thanks.

My experience with a small nondescript but nice looking Class C with
no slides, jacks or toads is that you can pretty much park anywhere
except some large malls where the guards tend to run you off.  Almost
any stand-alone box store is OK.  Home Depot, Lowes, K-mart, etc.  I
keep an eye out for parked trailers, particularly those unhooked from
the tractors.  Then just blend in.

I also try to follow the rule "late in, early out".  In no earlier
than about 10pm.  Out before 9am. This works on the theory that if no
one at the property sees you then they can't object.

When you pull to a stop in your rig and don't do anything indicate
that you're going to be there awhile, no one knows what you're doing.
You may be shopping.  You may be just resting or getting a snack.  Or
you may have parked there and a friend picked you up for dinner.

Ignoring the assholes who hate to see anyone else have fun and the
greedy campground operators, let's review what causes people to not
want RVs parking.  Slobs.  Eyesores.  Pure and simple.  And damage to
the lot, of course.

If you pull in, take up a bunch of parking places, jack your jacks
into the pavement, run your slides out, maybe pull out the barbie then
yeah, you might be invited to leave.  If not, then you might be the
reason you find "no overnight parking" signs up the next time you stop
by.

I try to apply the golden rule.  I put myself in the property owner's
shoes and try to think what would make him unhappy.  By avoiding doing
those things I've never once had a problem with overnight parking.

One other thought.  Try to pick your parking place as far away from
the main path as possible so that you won't make it any harder for the
late night lot cleaning service to do its job.  I have a friend who
owns a large janitorial service.  He's commented more than once that
he really hates the motorhomes at wallyworld because they park at
random angles which precludes using the vacuum truck.  He has to send
along guys with leaf blowers to blow the debris from under the RVs
(and semi trucks too.)  This is a guy who's out in his MH every
weekend taking his kid to BMX competitions so he's not anti-RV.

Think what the impact would be if he or someone like him complained to
the store or worse, raised his price on account of the large vehicles
parked there.  Not good.

I try to pay attention when I park to where the vacuum truck might
want to go.  Most of these trucks have a side air jet so that as it
drives by a single vehicle it can blow the debris out and suck them up
on the next pass.

John

From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 01:08:55 -0400

If there is a jail attached, a police department is one of the worst
places to stay.  Not only are there trustees roaming about, but the
inmates' scuzbag relatives and friends congregate around the place.
Most of those look like it's only random chance that they're not
inside too.

I've spent a bit of time in and around Justice Centers as a hired
expert.  I've learned from experience and from advice from my client
lawyers not to leave ANYTHING in my car, not even in the trunk.

The one time I forgot to check the locks I had a GPS unit snatched
from under my seat.  I wasn't in the justice center more than 45
minutes.

Someone else said:

>We will not stay in a rest area (unless in a caravan} as they are
>loaded with bad elements that see us as a money tree to harvest.

This one amazes me.  I'm at a loss as to how someone would actually
"harvest" anything from my rig with me in it.  What?  They just gonna
walk up and crowbar the door?  Yeah, right.

I've done rest areas all over the country east of the Rockys and I've
never seen anything that made me even remotely apprehensive.

I AM glad that this attitude is common, though.  Leaves more room for
me in crowded rest areas :-)

John
On Mon, 9 May 2005 21:04:50 -0500, HandsOfftheRV@webtv.net (RVing Is
Alot Of Fun) wrote:

>I like the idea of asking the Police Dept. if you can stay on thier lot
>;  maximum safety .

Index Home About Blog