Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Shore Power Interrupt Alarm?
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 14:40:21 -0500

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 23:37:37 -0800, altar nospam <altar@nospam.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 00:26:50 -0500, "Peter Pan"
><PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>>You may want to consider one of those emergency gel back battery booster
>>things (about $40-$50), won't start an RV engine, but it will work wonders
>>for starting the gen (hook it direct to the gen at the starter selenoid, not
>>at the end of the long long cable from the engine area).. I have used it to
>>start the gen, and then let the gen charge the engine battery to start the
>>engine.. Also used it on my toad when it's battery died (usually keep it in
>>the toads trunk)
>
>OK, I'll bite. Why won't it start an RV? It'll start my 454 in my
>pickup. My MH also has a 454. What's the difference?

My store-bought Vector containing a 17ah AGM type battery certainly
will start any gas engine I've put it up against.  It'll start my
diesel medium duty truck too, if the main batts aren't completely
flat.

My homemade one (Hawker Genesis 17ah super AGM with "0" cables) will
even start my semi rig, as more than one person who put money on the
table learned the hard way :-)

Currently the Vector one that Sam's is selling (unfortunately glommed
up with a tire pump) is one of the best in the consumer class that
I've looked at.  The new Home Depot Husky brand also looks good,
though not as good as the previous generation.