Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Propane leak
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 02:59:16 -0500

Awhile back I got tired of paying the big bux for leak detection
solution (remember I'm an SMS'er) so I did some research.  I found
that the key to good, long lasting and sensitive suds is to add some
glycerine to the soap.  Glycerine slows the evaporation of moisture
from the bubble and makes it tougher.  Same trick is used for bubble
blowing solution, though in lower concentration.

The best leak detecting solution will build up a little pile of what
looks like whipped cream on even the smallest leak.  A mix of about
2/3 water and 1/3 high quality dishwashing detergent such as Palmolive
green and a couple oz of glycerin will do the same thing.

An even better checker is that foaming agent that fire departments use
in their foam dispensers.  A tiny little bit goes a LONG way.  I got
about a half a pill bottle full from the local fire department several
years ago and am still using it.

BTW, I also like the match technique for leak checking but the bubble
method is more sensitive.  I do a first pass check with the butane
fire starter and if no flames appear, use the leak checker solution.

Index Home About Blog