Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Leveling a Jamboree 31M?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 21:00:21 -0400

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:52:10 -0700, "just bob" <kilbyfan@aol.com> wrote:

>I can't get in touch with the owner to confirm but I have a feeling i will
>have to jury rig something to level out this RV I will be borrowing next
>week as it does not appear to come with any jacks or other leveling system.
>
>As it's not my RV...
>
>#1. I want to make sure not to damage it
>#2. I do not want to invest in jacks, etc.
>
>I recently had a look at the campsite we will use and we might have to lift
>the front by as much as 12 inches.
>
>Should I bring lots of 2x8 lumber and a saw? ;-)

I bought a single stick of 8X8 timber when I first got my rig.  I cut it into
about 3 ft lengths and used a Sawsall (a chain saw will work too) to cut from
one corner to the other, making two wedges.  My "corner" was actually measured
in about 4 inches on each end to give the tire a flat surface to sit on if I
ever had to roll it up that high.  From a side view, think "right triangle
with a 4" rectangle attached to the high end.

I carry 4 of those wedges and two lengths of un-cut wood.  If one wedge isn't
high enough then I can place the uncut piece behind it and put another wedge
on top.  That's a total of 16" of lift.  I've never needed that much but I
HAVE needed a little more than 8" after the first wedge sunk into the ground
on a fairly steep hill.