Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Finally FS: Honda EU3000is
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 03:33:51 -0400

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:47:39 -0700, Wes Stewart <n7ws@_arrl.net> wrote:

>|GB has a good question about shipping. You may want to get an accurate
>|weight on this item. If it's 150 pounds or less, for example, it can ship
>|FedEx ground for a pretty attractive rate most anyway in the lower U.S.
>|Something you might want to add to your listing. If it weighs more than 150
>|pouinds and needs to ship via freight then it could easily add another
>|$250 - $350 to the cost of the item making it a less attractive purchase.
>|Something to think about.
>
>Sumpthin' else to think about is the fact that it's hazardous
>material.

One of my friends from this group was telling me just last week about all the
crap he got from UPS while trying to ship an LP RV water heater.  Apparently
the morons are trained to key on individual words instead of using common
sense.  I had a similar problem trying to ship a lecture bottle of Xenon, a
noble gas.  All the idiot had to hear was the word "gas" and he went
ballistic.  I trundled it over to the post office and told THAT clerk what it
was.  Question:  "is it flammable?"  "nope".  "Good."  He stuck a "compressed
gas" sticker on the box and shipped it normally with no extra fees or forms.

Freight shipping isn't all that bad.  I ordered a new hotrod electric scooter
last week (http://www.gobigscooters.com/, for anyone else who wants a scooter
that'll do almost 40.)  With the wooden crate, the whole shebang is about 300
lbs.  Freight is around $125.  I'll get the exact amount tomorrow.

As for the battery, it's not worth the hassle unless you're shipping via
truck.  If you're dealing with UPS or fedex, just take the battery out and
toss it in the can or on the shelf.  Let the buyer get his own replacement.
I've had absolutely not problems shipping sealed AGM or gell batteries via
USPS.

Again if dealing with UPS or FEDEX, it might be cheaper to remove the gas tank
and ship it separately.  Rinse it out well and leave it open for a few days to
get the gas fumes out, more or less.  Then ship it USPS.  No problem.  I've
done this with engines before.  It produces a lot less hassle to be able to
tell them that there is no gas tank in the unit and no gasoline present.

Let me mention one other option, one I use to ship neon glass because it is
both cheaper and a LOT less likely to result in broken glass.  That is, via
greyhound bus.  You simply drop the item off at a depot and specify where it
is going.  It is put in the hold and shipped like luggage.  It is unloaded at
the destination depot where the recipient has to come get it.  Or use a
courier service to pick it up and deliver it.  Check their web site to learn
about any weight or size restrictions.  In all the greyhound shipping I've
done I've yet to be treated to the complimentary fork lift tire track that UPS
always applies to my boxes.

Chemophobic madness coupled with greed has made the shipping process
irrational.  One must learn and adapt :-)