Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Now I've Seen It All
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 03:29:59 -0400

On Thu, 04 May 2006 10:05:39 -0700, altar@nospam.net wrote:

>I don't APPLY for anything, except maybe a mortgage. If they (whoever
>*they* are) want to approach me with something, I'll consider it. I
>have a rule in dealing with people and companies where money will
>exchange hands. They have to want it more than I do. Or I'm not
>interested. And in cases like what you describe, they get one digit
>from my right hand.

Now there you go, Tom.  GB and the sili one will peg you as paranoid
:-)

I'm of the same philosophy.  I believe in the golden rule - those with
the gold rule :-)

I have started extending that to other areas too.  Such as those who
want to make me wait to give them my money.  Like Wallyworld, for
instance.  I don't wait in line anymore for more than about 5 minutes.
Then I just walk away from the cart.

The 9 month old NAPA battery in my car popped an internal interconnect
last night about 10pm.  Being a bit impatient I drove over to the
local Camp Wallyworld to buy a new battery even though this one was in
warranty.  I took the core back to the auto department as usual,
picked out my replacement and went up front to pay.  3 registers open
and long lines at each.  I weighed going to get my core vs waiting for
a bit and waited.

Not too bad, about 10 minutes.  Then the knucklehead tries to charge
me a core charge.  I correct his mistaken notion but then a "CSM" has
to over-ride the register so we do the flashing light routine.  5 more
minutes and I stick my head around the cigarette display to see the
"CSM" standing there bullsh*tting with (presumably) her boyfriend.

I just strolled back to the auto department, got my core and left.
Glad I did now, as it saved me $50, as the NAPA one was free.  I
wonder how long knucklehead waited for me to come back from looking
for a CSM? :-)

I suppose that one could argue to just quit going to wallyworld but in
this podunk town it isn't possible, at least after 5pm.  the other two
privately owned grocery stores close at 11pm and even when they're
open, the inventory is hideous, especially produce.

Besides, leaving full carts, especially full carts with little notes
stuck to 'em, sends a message that just not showing up doesn't.

John

From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 00:04:02 -0400

On Fri, 5 May 2006 13:04:38 -0700, "Kevin W. Miller"
<i09172@strudelyahoo.com> wrote:

>I feel differently about it. My physician is not a "in one door, write 'em a
>script and send 'em out the other door" type of guy. He spends the time to
>try and figure out if there might be something else going on and he's very
>thorough. I go in with the knowledge that I may have to wait and I'm
>prepared to do so. I also very much appreciate that he isn't cosntantly
>looking at the clock while I'm with him and that he'll spend the time with
>me (and the rest of his patients) that's needed.

But waiting and care are not in any way connected.  My brother has one
of the largest and IMH, best dental practices in town.  He's an
Ambassador to the ADA and was last years president of the Tn board of
Dental Examiners.  Lots of patients and lots of outside interests.

His patients do not have to wait.  Period.  As a matter of philosophy
and policy.  He has a lady whose only job is to massage the
appointment calendar.  If he's running late, she's on the phone to
patients for later in the day.  If a procedure goes wrong and he has
to spend extra time, the people in the waiting room are given 10
minute updates, and not just BS platitudes but actual information.

Though not a matter of policy, I've seen him waive fees for patients
who had to wait more than 15 minutes.

It's not rocket science but simply good management.  And good business
practice.  He realizes what should be as obvious as the nose on one's
face - that it is mostly pissed off patients who sue for malpractice.
Treat a patient with respect and honestly acknowledge the occasional
problem and most will respond in kind.  OTOH, be arrogant, affect a
superior attitude, talk down to 'em,  make 'em wait for hours and THEN
screw up and you better have your wallet ready to be cleaned.

John

From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 23:52:13 -0400

On Fri, 05 May 2006 09:04:23 -0700, altar@nospam.net wrote:

>On Fri, 05 May 2006 03:29:59 -0400, Neon John <no@never.com> wrote:
>
>>Besides, leaving full carts, especially full carts with little notes
>>stuck to 'em, sends a message that just not showing up doesn't.
>>
>>John
>
>Funny. I have done the same thing. I've walked out of Doctor's
>office's for the same reason. They don't get the concept that me
>waiting is just as ridiculous as the Doctor waiting for me. I had one
>office that tried to get me for a no show fee. I told'em I was there,
>the Doc wasn't. They explained that he had an emergency. I explained
>that an emergency on their part was *not* one on my part. I told them
>where they could put their "fee". Then I switched Docs to one that had
>better planning.

Good for you!!!

Sometimes that arrogant attitude on the part of doctors can backfire
seriously badly.

Several years ago when new knee joints were looming, I went to a
well-recommended orthopod in a neighboring city.  The first visit went
OK but the second visit had me waiting 3 hours when I finally pulled
the plug, demanded my records and left.  That the receptionist twit
wouldn't give me ANY info was a key factor.

When I got home I looked through my records, more out of curiosity as
anything else.  The first thing that set the tone was his description
of me as "morbidly obese".  Now I WAS overweight but nothing hung over
my belt, I could see my l'il buddy and my shoes and I could touch the
floor with the palms of my hands.  That prompted me to pay attention.

I compared what he claimed he did and billed insurance for vs what he
really did.  He REALLY had a 15 minute chat with me, did some flexure
tests on my knees and had me attempt a squat.  He billed the insurance
for a comprehensive physical including X-rays and blood work.

I whipped off copies of the relevant records and a cover letter to my
insurance company's fraud unit and to the state insurance
commissioner.  A few months later I got to see this prick's mug on TV.
Seems like he was really into fraudulent insurance billing on a large
scale.  I have no idea if they were already onto him or if my letter
started the investigation.  In any event, I talked at length to a nice
TBI agent, gave a statement and that was the end of my participation.
I don't recall what happened to him but the building he had is office
in is now vacant.

A little courtesy would have saved him a LOT of money and his license.

John

From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 22:30:45 -0400

On Sat, 06 May 2006 10:30:39 -0400, Frank Tabor <ftabor@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 05 May 2006 23:52:13 -0400 Neon John <no@never.com> wrote in
>article <un6o525l6vboe6d17bkfcrfv67fjqcg2cs@4ax.com>:
>
>>The first thing that set the tone was his description
>>of me as "morbidly obese".
>

>http://www.harbinclinic.com/bariatric/am-i-morbidly-obese.html
>
>Decide for yourself if you are or aren't.  I am.

No I'm not, now nor then, but then again, I didn't need a web site to
tell me that.

I do get a kick out of those charts.

According to that chart, back in my basketball jock days (college
scholarship, all-city, city 1-on-1 champ, the usual jock stuff) when I
was on top of my game with less than 5% body fat, at 6'7, 230 lbs, I
was "slightly oveweight".  What a joke.  I bet my coach would have
cackled, as he was always on my butt to build up more upper body bulk.
The way these charts are going, in a few years the ideal body weight
(sic) won't make any allowance for any muscle at all.

Index Home About Blog