Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,
	sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: 280V motor on 230V circuit
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:13:52 -0400

On Tue, 27 May 2008 02:03:10 -0500, msg <msg@_cybertheque.org_> wrote:

>Daniel Who Wants to Know wrote:
>
><snip>
>>
>> Yes like my Amana commercial RadarRange which is 4KW in 2.2KW out and has 3
>> HV magnetrons along with 3 each of the other necessary items (cap, diode,
>> etc.).
>
>Does this oven somehow injection-lock the magnetrons? Can you describe
>the (RF) plumbing?

Can't comment on the microwave oven, though I suspect that it works the same
as my gadget.  A couple of years ago I built an EWF (electronic warfare)
device to solve a particularly obnoxious boom-boom stereo problem.  This guy
would drive by my restaurant every evening on the way home from work.  His
stereo was loud enough to rattle things off my dining room shelves.  Talking
to him didn't work soooo...

My gadget used 4 1kw microwave oven magnetrons placed in a suitable waveguide
one wavelength apart, the magnetron antennae simply protruding into the
waveguide.  With suitable use of tuning stubs, they phase-locked and the power
added nicely.  A quite large rectangular horn terminated the waveguide and
matched it to the ether.  I didn't bother with pulsed operation, as the first
CW test was successful :-)  Simon and Garfunkel's "The Sound of Silence" song
came to mind.

I had the thing positioned in my dining room, aimed through the plate glass
window at the area behind the stop sign.  When he pulled up to the stop sign,
the stereo a-thumping away, I touched the plate supply push button.  Instant
silence.  Permanent silence.  It killed his engine too, but it restarted.