Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: transmission oil for F250
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 01:13:10 -0400

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 16:20:27 -0400, bill horne <redydog@rye.net>
wrote:

>> For draining the fluid without a plug, it's simple enough. Undo the bolts so
>> that one corner of the pan is lowered and let it drain.
>
>It's simple enough to say, but apparently I'm not sufficiently
>coordinated to actually do it without spilling some down my arm or on
>the floor. Not only that, but even after the pan is 'drained' using
>this method, there is still considerable fluid left in the pan, and
>then one has to remove all the bolts and lower the pan without
>spilling some more.

Since I'm going to drop the pan to look around for problems anyway,
the first time I drain the tranny on any of my vehicles, a take a
sharp punch and poke a hole in the side of the drain pan at the rear.
Once the pan is off, I ream the hole out and silver-solder a nut to
the pan.  A bolt and copper washer make up the new drain plug.  This
is doable with a MAPP gas torch so no special tools needed.

>Drainplugless tranny pans are an evil conspiracy designed to ensure
>that no Joe DIYer tries it more than once. Those responsible for this
>evil conspiracy also know that no sensible wife will allow Joe to put
>his fluid-soaked shirt in the washing machine, and he'll have to wash
>it himself in a bucket in the backyard. Or just decree it a
>disposable shirt.

Hmm, this sounds like one of those mice or man conundrums.

>Big catch pan, roll of paper towels, and a disposable shirt - that's
>my solution. I have done it outside, and just considered the
>resulting patch of dead grass a necessary sacrifice - along with the
>shirt.

Easiest way is to find a storm sewer grate.... (ducking....)