Index Home About Blog
From: REMOVE_THISdwilkins@means.net (Don Wilkins)
Newsgroups: sci.chem
Subject: Re: Reaction mechanism: Iodine clock reaction
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 01:59:18 GMT

On 30 Aug 1999 21:58:31 GMT, __pikachu <denseboy@a1tav1sta.net> wrote:

>hi all!
>I really need help on this one...
>I need detailed information on the mechanism of the iodine clock reaction,
>(well, the oxidation of the iodide ion anyway) ie.
>
>H2O2 + 2 H+ + 2 I-  ==> 2 H2O + I2
>
>I've searched for quite a few websites, but still cant find any *detailed*
>info on the reaction mechanism...

Wrong source for this information. Those damned libraries still have a
lot of good stuff.

Go to Chem. Abstracts find the author index and look up Herman
Liebhafsky. Probably listed as HA Liebhafsky. He published a series
(I believe five) on the kinetics of this reaction. You will need to
start at least in the 30s or 40s.

If you stop there you will only find the first four. The last in the
series was published perhaps 30 or forty years later. For this one
look in the 60s or 70s. Don't give up until you find the last one
which will give you references to the others in the series. Decennial
index should make this fairly easy now that you know who to look for.

Herman is long gone now but was one of the most respected physical and
analytical  chemists and a close friend. He probably has written more
than you will ever want to know about that reaction.

>I've been told by someone to look up Elementary Reaction Kinetics by
>Latham and Burgess, but Amazon says it's out of print... Guess it a pretty
>old book...
>
>If anyone could give me a few pointers (url's, book titles et c.)
>it would be very well appreciated!

Forget the URLs what you are looking for is in a library.

>thanks!
YW

Index Home About Blog