Index Home About Blog
From: "Gerald L. Hurst" <glhurst@onr.com>
Newsgroups: alt.engr.explosives,sci.chem,sci.engr.chem
Subject: Re: 1,2 Propylene Glycol Dinitrate - Info Req'd
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 02:20:28 -0600

EGDN is similar to NG in properties and is manufactured in the same way
except that ethyleneglycol is used in place of glycerine.  The pure material
differs from NG in being somewhat more volatile and less viscous.

The principal historical use of EGDN was as a freezing point depressant
for NG.  The mixture was used in the manufacture of dynamite type
explosives so that the latter could be used safely in cold weather.  The
easiest method of obtaining a mixture suitable for low-temperature
dynamite is to nitrate a 50/50 mixture of the two precursors.

NGDN is a vascodilator like most organic nitrate compounds such as those
derived from alcohols and sugars by conventional nitration.  Companies
which manufactured NG and EGDN sometimes also produced nitrates
for medical uses.

The explosive properties and methods of manufactureof EGDN are described
in the usual reference works on explosives such as Urbanski. Vol 2.

Jerry (Ico)

stewpot wrote:

> Can anyone help me please?!!!
>
>     I desperately need information about 1,2 Propylene Glycol Dinitrate,
> particularly it's
> manufacture. How is it made?
>     Other information is also welcome, such as suppliers or places where
> more information may be gleaned.
>
>  please e-mail
>
> stewpot@clara.net
>
> Thanks.