Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.pyrotechnics
From: tip@mercury.aichem.arizona.edu (Tom Perigrin)
Subject: Re: tesla coils(help)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 15:13:39 GMT

> One other thing to keep in mind. The arc generates a lot of ozone - which
> is quite harmful in more than trace amounts.

We built a Jacob's ladder for a halloween house...   For safety we enclosed
it in a large glass tube (about 8" dia by 2' high).  Within a 1/4 hour the
tube was FILLED with dark brown NO2, which Merck lists as "one of the most
insidious of poisonous gases".   I am not sure if this was formed by ozone
and N2, or by excited N2 attacking oxygen, but, it was formed.

Made me reconsider having one in my breathing environment.

---

If I was smart, I'd have a clever .sig

Index Home About Blog