Index Home About Blog
From: ems@michael.apple.com (E. Michael Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.pyrotechnics
Subject: Re: Naptha
Date: 4 May 93 18:10:16 GMT

In article <1993May4.155202.7359@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com> billn@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com (bill nelson) writes:
>yasu@ll.mit.edu (Alan Yasutovich) writes:
>:
>: 	Does anyone know of any purpose/use for naptha?
>:
>: 	My father has a gallon jug in his basement.  He claims
>: 	it was used for old blow torches.
>
>It was used in the old blow torches.  I have one - a rather interesting
>piece of equipment.
>
>Naptha is also known as lighter fluid - the kind used in "Zippos".

Also, take a look at a can of Coleman Camp Fuel...

Naptha is, substantially, gasoline without any additives and with a
lousy vapor presure (gross generalization...).  It pings like hell
and may lead to vapor lock in a gasoline engine, but when mixed
with naphthalene moth balls (an octane booster) works OK at modest
temperatures (i.e. don't drive in the desert...)

(How do I know?  'Cause I did it ... Coleman Camp fuel {aka Naptha}
was the only thing that could get my Honda to ping, which I needed
it to do so I could test the octane boosting ability of the moth balls...)

--

E. Michael Smith  ems@apple.COM

'Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.  Boldness has
 genius, power and magic in it.'  -  Goethe

I am not responsible nor is anyone else.  Everything is disclaimed.

Index Home About Blog