Index Home About Blog
From: arno@nitro.pp.utu.fi (Arno Hahma)
Subject: Re: ADN
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 10:46:51 +0300 (EET DST)

<I'll cross post this to PML as well, it'll probably be of interest there,
too>

>    Has anyone heard of Ammonium Dinitramide ( ADN ) ?

Having prepared it with three different methods, I'd say yes ;).

>    motors. Has anyone had any experiance with it ?

Only those, who have lots of money to make it. ADN is difficult to make and
whatever route you take, it is expensive (unless you are able to invent
something new, that is not).

Otherwise, ADN looks a very promising oxidizer, that gives more Isp than
ammonium perchlorate, a signature free exhaust and good combustion
characteristics. It would also be an excellent oxidizer in pyrotechnics,
since it produces a lot of gas giving a large flame and lots of light
output.

The problem is how to get the material pure enough and how to stabilize
it in storage. In addition, ADN is detonable, even as a propellant
mixture. That is certainly a risk, expecially with large rockets.

I would rather look at hydrazinium nitroformate, which is far easier to
prepare and gives approximately the same performance as ADN. It is not as
sensitive to impurities either.

>    If so what did you think ? Where can it be purchased ?

It can't be purchased. Those who have it, don't sell it and don't tell
how to make it.  You have to find out how make your own.  The same
applies for hydrazinium nitroformate and other, novel high energy
materials like TNAZ, HNIW, azidomethyloxetanes, glycidylnitrates, etc.

>          John C.

ArNO
    2

Index Home About Blog