Index Home About Blog
From: arno@nitro.pp.utu.fi (Arno Hahma)
Subject: Re: Analyzing propellants
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 12:33:58 +0200 (EET)

> Does the output tell you in some obscure way the parameters of the standard
> solid propellant burn equation  R = aP^e ?  A skim through sutton indicates

There is no way it could tell you that. The entire equation is empirical,
it has just been pulled it out as it seems to fit the empirical data
rather well (at least most of the time...). You could just as well use
any function, that can be fit into experimental data with a high
correlation, such as A*e^(Bx), A*ln(Bx) etc.

> a few chapters earlier.  Analyzing propellants can be fun, but it seems
> rather far removed from practice if all I can get is Isp and combustion
> products :-(

It is not that far removed from practice, since those parameters are
necessary to calculate, say, a flight path of a given rocket
construction or a performance of a given propellant charge.

> BillW

ArNO
    2

Index Home About Blog