Index Home About Blog
From: glhurst@onr.com (Gerald L. Hurst)
Newsgroups: alt.engr.explosives
Subject: Re: Shock Tube
Date: 22 Nov 1995 09:35:43 GMT

In article <48rfq4$mni@fly.HiWAAY.net>, ltw@fly.HiWAAY.net (Lawrence
Weinman) says:

>>>Anyone know what compound is used in Shock Tubing?
>>
>>Cellophane works pretty well, but you can use other films or
>>even metal foil.
>>
>>Jerry
>
>I suspect that what he was interested in knowing was what is in Nonyl. I
>seem to recall that the inner surface is dusted with rdx/al
>
>I also seem to recall a data sheet from Dynamit Nobel (late '60s) that
>specified that the filling was KClO4/Al.

RDX and PETN, etc.work fine.  I developed aluminum systems in the
70s, which may account for the reports of Al in the cord. Or
perhaps they've started adding it for good luck:)

I knew what the poster meant, but I also figured he'd get his
answer, anyway, and we could use a good "shock tube," thread.

Jerry

Index Home About Blog