Index Home About Blog
From: "Gerald L. Hurst" <GHURST@austin.rr.com>
Newsgroups: alt.engr.explosives
Subject: Re: Question for the electronic pro's out there...
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:39:38 GMT

I have no interest in spud guns, but I did once run a
set of experiments for a legal case in which I fired
bags of ANFO from a PVC tube using gasoline or
hexane.  This was before the spud gun craze.

In order to generate a spark from a distance, I wired
up a junk ignition coil and appropriate capacitor
using the same circuit as is found in older automobiles.
This way I could strap the coil onto the gun along with a
6 or 12 volt dry cell battery and feed the  low voltage
over whatever distance I wished.  The device works
like a one-legged Tesla coil, imparting a spark pulse
of umpteen thousand volts.   When you close the circuit,
current begins to flow through the coil, building up a
magnetic field which collapses on breaking the circuit.
The suddenly shrinking magnetic field induces the high
voltage in the coil.

You can pick up a coil and capacitor from any auto
salvage  dealer and a lantern battery or two will furnish
a zillion sparks.

The old Model T Ford used a coil with a built in
vibrating switch all mounted in a wooden box.  With a
 6 volt dry cell battery attached to the input, you had a
dandy Tesla coil that would toss out a continuous
spark an inch or so long.  I would guess that one can
still buy these units from antique auto supplies, but they
probably have a hefty price tag.  They used to be in
the Sears catalog.  The unit plus a lantern battery fit
nicely into a cigar box with two stove bolt electrodes
sticking out  ready to ambush the girls.

When I was a kid, they actually taught courses in
electricity in school.  We learned how to build shockers
based on the same principle, using hand-wound coils
which were fashioned into buzzers to produce a steady
output that would cause the hand and arm muscles to
tighten.  Early in the course, the teacher would wire one
of these gadgets to the door of the classroom/lab to
shock the first entrant.  We quickly learned to test the
knob by holding a key or knife to it before risking a
stinging arc to the finger.

The old guy also loved to string a long thin wire over the
chairs of the front two rows to bring everybody to their
feet in a microsecond.  Of course, this only worked one
time.

I don't suppose they teach this sort of stuff in 7th grade
anymore.  Oh yeah, and I bet they don't teach how
to make a magnetic canon that fires steel projectiles
using a pulse of 117V AC.

It's ironic that kids these days get a huge dose of
electronics but seem to learn almost nothing
about electrical and electromechanical gadgets.
That's progress, but the world seems a little
poorer for the absence of spit and baling wire
toys.

Jerry (Ico)

Index Home About Blog