Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Crockpot Sauerbraten
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 01:53:25 -0400

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 15:36:02 -0400, "Cliff" <cliffclingan@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Esposa says those gift cookies had anise and POTASH in them.
>> LZ
>
>Figures!  You would like that, because that is where we get lye!  Much more
>toxic than plain ole peppers!!!  ROFL

Bet you didn't know that the brown color and characteristic taste of a pretzel comes
from bathing the cooked but not brown dough in concentrated boiling lye solution.  I
was on the process design team at M&M Mars when we developed the original Combos.  I
had to design the controls of the lye sprayer.

Lutefish is cod soaked in concentrated lye until it is digested into a translucent
gelatinous mass too gross looking for any sober person to eat.  Ughhh.