Index Home About Blog
From: Gale McMillan <gale@mcmfamily.com>
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: Coating Bullets with Molybdenum Disulfide ??
Date: 12 Oct 1997 21:50:51 -0400

Rod Regier wrote:

# In article <61ek8a$aiu@xring.cs.umd.edu>,
# "Tom Blank" <tblank@execpc.com> writes:
# #  I've heard that Neco purchased the patent rights and those rights ran out
# # in April of this year.
#
# {Disclaimer - I'm just an interested observer, with no profit
#               to be gained from NECO}
#
# NECO ran the following in the July 1997 issue of "Precision Shooting":
#
# Attention Sellers of Molycoating Kits and Molycoated Bullets
# ------------------------------------------------------------
#
# The process of molycoating bullets, as protected by U.S. Patent
# 4,454,175, is owned by NECO (Nostalgia Enterprises Company).  NECO
# has become aware that there are a number of persons who are selling
# molycoating kits and/or molycoated bullets which appear to infringe
# its U.S. Patent or which, in order to avoid the patent, take
# shortcuts or use materials in a way which produces shoddy and
# substandard bullets.
#
#
#
#
#
# This notice is provided in compliance with 35 USC 287
#
#
# Doesn't sound like they're holding an expired patent :-)

It is strange that a patent can be issued on a process that has been in
the public domain for 20 years. The bench rest crowd have been using
moly coated bullets for 20 years.  I must presume that it is the method of
application that is the patent.  But regardless an individual can for his
own use and not for profit without being in danger of patent
infringement use the exact process.

Index Home About Blog