Index Home About Blog
From: Gale McMillan <mcmillan@getnet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: Reboring a rifle barrel - Questions
Date: 3 Feb 1996 19:54:55 -0500

Thomas Grover wrote:

# In several magazine articles in the past year, I have seen
# reference to having a rifle barrel rebored. In other words,
# take an existing barrel, say in .25-06, and rebore it up
# to .308, or perhaps a .30-06 and make it a .35 Whelen.
#
# I wonder how many, if any, readers of this group know much
# about this or have had it done, and what their results were?

The Practice of reboring was popular in the days before the days of
buttoned barrels as all barrel makers had hook cutter riflers and most
of the work had been done on the original installation (chambering,
contouring, fitting and finishing.) It was a life saver when
rebarreling a finely engraved gun. The practice has become quite scarce
in recent years . The last man I know who did it was Bill Atkinson of
what used to be A&M Barrel co. He sold to Tom Houghton renamed H&S
Precision. I would doubt if the technology was transferred. Sam Mays may
still do it. Whether it is practical or not on a modern gun is
questionable. First your getting a cut barrel and chances are that you
would be getting  a better barrel with better stress-releaving from most
barrelmakers. A lot of custom rifle makers genrally have brand new
factory take off barrels they sell for peanuts. We sell ours for 15 or
20 dollars and any good smithe can fit it up in an hour.

Gale McMillan.

Index Home About Blog