Index Home About Blog
From: gwhite@tiac.net (Doug White)
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: Misfeed problem with .22 Hi-Standard pistol
Date: 26 Aug 1995 13:57:29 -0400

In article <41ljo8$mg9@xring.cs.umd.edu>,
   "Dr. Edward Friday" <efriday@cais.com> wrote:
<I have a .22 Hi-Standard pistol which misfeeds every 3-4 rounds.
<A gunsmith has done the usual things- replaced the
<recoil spring with a stronger one, polished the feed ramp,
<polished the upper slide surfaces, all with no improvement.
<Ammo being used is high quality .22 long rifle, FMJ.
<
<Suggestions?

Misfeeding in High Standards is _usually_ a magazine problem.  It depends
on exactly how it's misfeeding.  If the front 'lips' of the magazine are
too close together, the nose of the bullet will hit the breech face too
low.  If they are too far apart, the nose of the the bullet will catch on
the top of the chamber.  Also, depending on which High Standard, you may
want to try Standard (i.e. Target) velocity ammo, rather than
high-velocity.  Just to nit-pick, the ammo you are shooting is probably
copper 'washed', there is very little Full Metal Jacket .22 around.  If
the feeding problems look like what I've described above, I'd find
another gunsmith.  Before spending ANY time and money on the things
you've mentioned, he should have done a lot of work on the magazine.
That will fix 9 out of 10 High Standards with no further work.  The
bullet sholud just drag a little on the magazine lips.  I've found a
spacing of about 0.236" +/- .002" is about right.  Be careful bending the
lips to keep them parallel, and not mar them with plier jaws, you'll only
make things worse.  Some of the new High Standard Magazines weren't
tempered properly, and the feed lips can snap off when you try to adjust
them.  The company will replace these if they don't show any obvious
abuse.

Doug White

From: gwhite@tiac.net (Doug White)
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: High Standard .22 Feed Problems - Help!
Date: 8 Jan 1996 14:26:06 -0500

Several suggestions come to mind that may help.  A combination of them
may be neccessary for proper operation.

1) Some ammo has really gunky lube, and lots of it.  Enough that the
effective length of the round could put a lot of lube of the inside front
of the magazines.  Clean the magazines.

2) Pick an ammo that uses a minimal amount of a hard wax type lubricant.
 I like the Federal Gold Medal (standard velocity).

3) Don't load your magazines with 10 rounds.  The Victor was designed as
a target competition gun, where only 5 rounds are loaded at a time.  The
magazine will hold 10 rounds because the grip is that deep, and many will
work that way.  Until you get it broken in and working right, I'd stick
with 5.

4) The new High Standards are built to much tighter tolerances than the
old ones, and may need breaking in.  The factory recommends firing 500
rounds of high velocity ammo through a new gun, followed by a thorough
cleaning.

5) High Standard magazines are fussy.  Your pistol was test fired at the
factory with one of your magazines, so one of them should work a bit
better than the others.  Mark your magazines so you can tell them apart.
 The front lips on the magazine need to be symetrical with the center of
the magazine, and roughly 0.236" +/- .003 apart.  If the nose of the
bullet is hitting the lower edge of the chamber on the way in, it
frequently means that the lips are too close together.  If they are too
far apart, the nose will catch at the top of the chamber.  The case of
the cartridge should just slip between the two lips, with no appreciable
drag.  If you have to adjust the lips, the best thing is to borrow a dial
caliper from a machinist, and proceed gradually.  Working the feed lips
back and forth can break them.  There was a batch of mis-tempered
magazines that HS got from their vendor a while back, and they will break
VERY easily.  HS will replace these if that happens, but be careful in
any event.

6) If all else fails (a friend's HS Victor had this problem, S/N 60X)
send it back to the factory.  They WILL set things right.  The new
company is undergoing some start-up and growing pains, but they are
trying really hard to do things right.  It's not clear what they did to
my friend's pistol, but one thing was to ever so slightly increase the
radius on the chamber mouth.  DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS YOURSELF!!!  If
you mess it up and still have to send it back, it's gonna cost you a new
barrel.  They may very well have fiddled with several other things I
couldn't see that really made the difference.

Good luck, and let me know what works.  It may come in handy when I get
around to buying my 3rd Victor.  (I've got two of the old ones, and the
new ones are much better, IMHO, feed problems and all).

Doug White

From: gwhite@tiac.net (Doug White)
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: PISTOL: looking for a target 22. LR
Date: 19 Dec 1996 17:24:36 -0500

High Standard magazines frequently require 'adjusting' to get relaible
operation.  I've only run across one or two that needed anything more
than adjusting the spacing between the feed lips.  The lips at the front
of the magazines should be parallel, symetrical, and about 0.238" +/-
0.002" apart.  If they are too far apart, the nose of the bullet pops up
and catches the top of the chamber.  If they are too close, the nose hits
the bottom of the chamber.  Correctly spaced, a cartridge will slip thru
the lips with minimal (but not zero) drag.

The older magazines (including the aftermarket ones) were soft enough
that this adjustment could be made easily with a pair of smooth jawed
pliers.  The 2 new ones I got this year are much harder, and it's more
difficult to bend the feed lips in small increments.  The newest
aftermarket magazines are made with much thinner metal than they used to
be, and I don't have much experience with them (nor would I want any).

Doug White

Index Home About Blog