Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: talk.politics.guns
From: baldwin@netcom.com (J.D. Baldwin)
Subject: Re: Debate between John Lott and Douglas Weil of HCI.
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 02:08:14 GMT

In article <35A7E694.A5DA8DD1@Interaccess.com>, RAY
<Kira@Interaccess.com> wrote:
> RR: How would we know?  There is no penalty for gun-owners who do not
> report theft or robbery of their guns.

Unfortunately, what there's no penalty for is making up stupid,
transparent lies and posting them on Usenet.  Failure to report a
stolen weapon is a crime in every state I've lived in -- and I've
lived in 11 of 'em.  I seriously doubt there's one single state
in which that is *not* a crime.

> In fact, CCW holders (if they are NRA types) would be positively
> paranoid about reporting such events, thinking it might someday
> re-bound on them if the right kind of a safe storage law is passed.

And rightfully so, given what we can reasonably conclude you think is
"the right kind of a safe storage law."  Come to think of it, under
such laws, the requirement to report a stolen gun might very well
become unconstitutional.  Another unintended consequence.
--
 From the catapult of J.D. Baldwin  |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I
   _,_    Finger baldwin@netcom.com |+| say, I am quite prepared not only to

Newsgroups: talk.politics.guns
From: baldwin@netcom.com (J.D. Baldwin)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 16:38:20 GMT

In article <35A8C20F.3A9FED77@Interaccess.com>, RAY
<Kira@Interaccess.com> wrote, quoting me:
> > Failure to report a stolen weapon is a crime in every state I've
> > lived in -- and I've lived in 11 of 'em.  I seriously doubt there's
> > one single state in which that is *not* a crime.
>
> RR: Failure to back up what Baldwin claims is in a class all it's own.
> I find no such stolen gun law in the Illinois books.

Your failure to find something is no proof that it doesn't exist.
Call your local police department and ask them, then get back to us.
It would be very remarkable indeed if Illinois, one of the more
restrictive states wrt gun ownership, had no such law on the books,
although anything is, of course, possible.

> Besides, it would be odd indeed for Baldwin to learn of such laws
> only from "every state I've lived in" unless he had use for such a
> law in each of those states.  Does Baldwin mean to tell us he has
> claimed to have lost guns in 11 different states?!?  Does his
> insurance company know about this?

I'd call you an idiot (again) but this is beyond mere idiocy.  It's a
shameless (and not very competent) attempt at obfuscation.  I haven't
had guns stolen or lost in 11 different states, I've *owned* guns in
11 different states.  (I take them with me when I move, don't you
know.)  When I move to a new state, I make it my business to find out
about the gun laws therein.  Therefore, yes, I "had use for such a
law," or at least to know of such a law.
--
 From the catapult of J.D. Baldwin  |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I

Newsgroups: talk.politics.guns
From: baldwin@netcom.com (J.D. Baldwin)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 14:25:58 GMT

In article <35A96D7D.86758E3E@Interaccess.com>, RAY
<Kira@Interaccess.com> wrote:
> > I'd call you an idiot (again) but this is beyond mere idiocy.  It's a
> > shameless (and not very competent) attempt at obfuscation.  I haven't
> > had guns stolen or lost in 11 different states, I've *owned* guns in
> > 11 different states.  (I take them with me when I move, don't you
> > know.)  When I move to a new state, I make it my business to find out
> > about the gun laws therein.  Therefore, yes, I "had use for such a
> > law," or at least to know of such a law.
>
> RR: Then why can't you cite even one state's law that makes
> it a crime to not report a stolen gun?  I smell a fraud.

Hey, all you had to do was ask.  Here's a reference from the
Michigan Code:

    MCL 28.430

            FIREARMS (Act 372 of 1927)

    28.430 Theft of firearm; report required; failure to report
    theft as civil violation; penalty.

      Sec. 10. (1) A person who owns a firearm shall, within 5
    days after he or she knows his or her firearm is stolen,
    report the theft to a police agency having jurisdiction over
    that theft.

      (2) A person who fails to report the theft of a firearm as
    required under subsection (1) is responsible for a civil
    violation and may be fined not more than $500.00.

      History: Add. 1990, Act 320, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991.

Feel free to make your apology both abject and public.  And I think
the stench of fraud filling your nostrils is coming from your own
keyboard.
--
 From the catapult of J.D. Baldwin  |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I