Index Home About Blog
From: Gale McMillan <gale@mcmfamily.com>
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: Mauser bolt forge ?
Date: 1 Oct 1997 21:01:07 -0400

clampitt@artnet.net wrote:
#
# I have a Swedish mod. 96 6.5mm.
# What is the proceedure for forging the bolt down?  Or, is there a book
# available that walks you through it start to finish.  I have some
# limited experience tempering small machine parts. I've been discouraged
# by others from doing this myself I would really like to try it.
# Thanks Matt
# PS. please CC me your post directly

Don't try it unless you have a fixture and plug.  The fixture clamps to
the bole indexing off the lugs and has a knotch to pound the bolt handle
int so that it shapes it and sweeps it back. The plug is to put into the
bolt to keep the bolt from collapsing as you pound on the red hat handle
since these  are rather expensive for a one time job its better to hire
someone with experience an a jig to do it for you. Most of us ruined the
first bolts we bent.

Index Home About Blog