Index Home About Blog
From: toby@u.washington.edu (Toby Bradshaw)
Subject: Re: B.O.S.S.-What??

In article <3d4lo5$9a0@hprcl192.mayfield.hp.com>,
Ted Johnson <ted@mayfield.hp.com> wrote:
###Everyone that I know that has one raves about its effectiveness!
##
##Hasn't made a blip in the accuracy shooting sports.
#
#The last issue of Precision Shooting magazine contained an article
#in which the article described a very BOSS-like device (which he
#built himself), and was very impressed with.

That doesn't really contradict what I said, does it?  Many, many of
the benchrest shooters I know are skilled machinists.  Many have tried
a "BOSS-like" device.  They don't help.  Since the margin of victory
in benchrest is generally a few thousandths or (at most) hundredths
of an inch per group, you can believe that if it *might* help it would
be used.  The same is true of the other shooting sports where accuracy
is paramount.

I'm still waiting for the BOSS advocates to explain how the muzzle
end of the barrel, fixed at the other end by the receiver, can ever
be a vibrational node.

A statistical test of +/- BOSS accuracy, rather than anecdotes, would
likewise be appreciated.  It is mandatory if anybody is to take it
seriously.  Rich Kayser writes some interesting stuff for PS, but the
statistical validity of most of his "testing" is essentially nil, as has
been pointed out quite a few times.

A rail gun and a warehouse would be a good place to start.

-Toby Bradshaw
toby@u.washington.edu

From: toby@u.washington.edu (Toby Bradshaw)

In article <9412230550.AA40099@homer23.u.washington.edu>,
Jeff Harris  <harris@u.washington.edu> wrote:

#Browning A-Bolt II 7mmRM and .300 Mag have 26" standard length barrels,
#not 24". The BOSS, if so equipped, shortens that to a 24" tube. I like
#shooting 0.75" 3-shot groups @ 200yds with the BOSS, so put me down for a
#yea.

Do you have an A-Bolt that will shoot like that?  If so, I'd pay
$100 to see it, in the following way: for every 3-shot group at 200
yards of 0.75" and under, I pay you $25.  For every one over that
size, you pay me $5.  Since we're both at the UW, and I'm a member
at Kenmore, this should be easy, huh?

Having competed at this distance for several years in the factory
BR class, and having seen exactly one perfect score on the 1"
hunter BR 10-ring out of hundreds of matches shot by excellent
riflemen, I'm pretty sure my money is safe :)

-Toby Bradshaw
toby@u.washington.edu

From: toby@u.washington.edu (Toby Bradshaw)

In article <Pine.A32.3.91c.941226220407.47626A-100000@homer10.u.washington.edu>,
Jeff Harris  <harris@u.washington.edu> wrote:
# >Do you have an A-Bolt that will shoot like that?  If so, I'd pay
# >$100 to see it, in the following way: for every 3-shot group at 200
# >yards of 0.75" and under, I pay you $25.  For every one over that
# >size, you pay me $5.  Since we're both at the UW, and I'm a member
# >at Kenmore, this should be easy, huh?
#
#Sounds like easy money and I could use some.

Name the time and place.  I'll bring $100.  Since you're buying the
ammo, I'll only collect $4 from you for every group over 0.75"
at 200 yards.  Since I'm paying $25 for every 0.75" group, you
should really clean up, eh?

#Federal Premium ammo is
#EXPENSIVE :-)

Not if it shoots as you claim.  You make $8.33 per shot.  That
should clear you over $20 per group, right?

#I just started reloading 7mm RemMag last month and took my
#loads out this weekend. I shot 5 3-shot strings, each having different
#bullets and/or charges. One of the combinations gave me a .85" group at
#200 yds.

I've shot an 0.029" 5-shot group at 100 yards, and an 0.073" in
registered benchrest, but I don't claim my rifle shoots in the
zeros for averages.  I gather you've never done any formal
competitive shooting.  "Best group" is a worthless indicator
of rifle accuracy, but you can show me the error of my ways
and claim my $100 with 12 shots.

#Okay, it's not 0.75", but it's close.

So, you have a 0.75"-at-200 rifle that hasn't even performed the
feat once?  And you think you'll win the $100?  On Saturday 11 March
1995 there will be a benchrest match, including factory rifles,
at Kenmore.  Not coincidentally, the range is 200 yards for
factory rifles.  Come and take my money, PLEASE!  An honest
3/8MOA rifle will win all the marbles in factory; I know because
I've won the annual trophy in this class and my .222 won't shoot
that well for averages, and my wind-doping is second-rate.  What
kind of wind flags do you like for group shooting?

#So you win. I am going to
#load up a few of these to re-check and then adjust the BOSS. So far, all
#of my shooting has been with the factory ammo and the factory suggested
#settings. Most of the other handloads shot 1.5-3" groups at 200.

How many groups were shot with each load?  Do you have any idea
how many it might take to determine which is best?

#I am not saying I have a 3/8" MOA rifle,

I must have misinterpreted the "easy money" and "0.75" at 200
yards".  How could that happen?

#but when I take it out and shoot
#5x3 rounds and one group on that day is under 1" @200 yds, I am happy.
#And I've done this 3 times. Happy^3.

It's nice to be able to take pleasure in the tails of a normal
distribution.  They're so responsive to n.  I'm interested in means,
since that's how rifle accuracy is measured.

# >Having competed at this distance for several years in the factory
# >BR class, and having seen exactly one perfect score on the 1" hunter BR 10-

#I thought we were talking groups here, not score.

We were.  The only difference is a scope adjustment, except when
chasing shots in BR.  I'll pay the $25 for the groups alone, anywhere
inside the paper.  I predict that if you fire 10 groups I will not
have to pay off once.  I certainly won't lose any money giving
the 6:1 odds I've offered.  Prove me wrong.  There are in fact a
small number of factory rifles and shooters that could win my
money, which makes the bet more interesting for me.  Some of them
will be at the match, and will be jealous of your "easy money"
wager.

#I apologize. My best
#groups were a few inches low. I think I still have my original sight-in
#target around. I'll bring it in.

I have lots of groups smaller than that, so I don't really want
to look at another target.  What I'd like to see is proof that
a factory Browning B.O.S.S.-equipped rifle will shoot enough 0.75"
groups at 200 yards to justify your claim.  I've made a sporting
proposition -- will the rifle do it or not?

-Toby Bradshaw
toby@u.washington.edu

Index Home About Blog