Index Home About Blog
From: Gale McMillan <gale@mcmfamily.com>
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: Titanium handguns?
Date: 8 Nov 1997 07:30:11 -0500

Johnny C. Kitchens wrote:

# In article <63lilp$ima@xring.cs.umd.edu> Ronald Shin <shin@psc.sc.edu> writes:
# # Dennis Rufer wrote:
# # #
# # # Would anyone know if there is or has been any titanium or titanium
# # # coated handgun produced.  Seems like it would be a natural.  Any
# # # information would be appreciated.  Please post any info to the
# # # newsgroup. Thanks.
# # # Dennis
# #
# # Given the price of titanium, I do not think that it would be
# # economically feasible to produce a line of titanium frame/slide parts.
# # As for a coating, I believe that there are some guns out there that
# # utilize various oxides of titanium in the paint on the frames, but
# # that's about as far as I have seen.
# #
#
# There was a titanium coated stainless steel revolver, that was offered
# sometime back. Seem to remember it was a S&W, offered by another company...
#
# --
#                             Johnny C. Kitchens
#                             kitchens@letter.com

I know that someone out there is or was making 1911 slides out of
titanium because I was given one the other day. I question the choice of
that material due to the way it wants to weld to anything it rubs
against. We got around it on our rifle actions by using case hardened
steel bolts and having a special surface finish so I guess you may be
able to solve the problem on pistol parts. An aluminum officers model
frame and a Titanium slide would make a nice carry gun but question how
it would be to shoot much.

Gale mc

Index Home About Blog