Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Newsgroups: sci.med
Subject: Re: sensitive to cold
Date: 22 Feb 1999 01:33:28 GMT

In <19990221150115.11741.00000392@ngol07.aol.com>
shapere@aol.comicrelief (Shapere) writes:

>This winter in particular I've been noticing that I seem to be way more
>sensitive to cold than other people. (Like, I feel a need to keep my coat
>on indoors because I shiver otherwise.)
>
>A couple of things I had thought might be related to this are my poor
>diet (basically I don't eat very much due to lack of appetite) and the
>medications I take (tranylcypromine (20 mg bid), propranolol (10-20mg
>prn)).
>
>Any ideas as to what specifically would be contributing to this?
>
>Thanks.
>
>-elizabeth

    Could be the Parnate, which acts a little like amphetamines, which
are good appetite surpressants.

    Take a good B vitamin complex in the AM-- they are appetite
stimulators.  And if you're underweight, try a supplement of almond oil
(30-60 grams) and whey protein (30 grams) in a smoothie once a day.  In
a pinch you can put it in milk, as the taste is not unpleasant.

From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Newsgroups: sci.med
Date: 22 Feb 1999 08:45:36 GMT

In <19990222010754.16007.00000595@ngol01.aol.com>
shapere@aol.comicrelief (Shapere) writes:

>So what is this rumor I keep hearing about Parnate and amphetamine,
>anyway? Among other things, I've heard the claim that it's metabolized
>into meth.

    Dunno anything about its metabolism other than it's acetylated, so
there's the Asian problem.  Perhaps somebody is confusing it with
Selegeline, an MAO-B inhibitor which can actually be used for
depression at high doses, where it becomes non selective.  Believe it
is metabolized to amphetamine.  In any case, direct stimulatory
amphetamine-like actions have been described for Parnate, so appetite
inhibition has a natural explanation.

> I can't find any info on the pharmacokinetics of Parnate, though.

   You may have to do a medline search.

>>    Take a good B vitamin complex in the AM-- they are appetite
>>    stimulators. And if you're underweight, try a supplement of almond
>>    oil (30-60 grams) and whey protein (30 grams) in a smoothie once a
>>    day. In a pinch you can put it in milk, as the taste is not
>>    unpleasant.
>
>Great, but will that help with the cold sensitivity? :-)

   Yes, if it's due to lack of calories.  Low intake for even a day
makes ME cold.

> (And how do I distinguish a good B complex from a bad one?)

   Has all the B vitamins as doses of several times RDA.  If you want a
good multivit try Twinlab's Daily One or Daily Two formulas.

From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Newsgroups: sci.med
Date: 22 Feb 1999 11:44:07 GMT

In <19990222055648.21203.00000650@ngol04.aol.com>
shapere@aol.comicrelief (Shapere) writes:

>Oh, I guess it's also known that MAOIs have really short half-lives,
>which I guess isn't too surprising (explains why you can't take levels,
>though).

   Yeah.  They have effects on receptors for much longer than blood
half lives though.

Index Home About Blog