Index Home About Blog
From: "Steve Harris" <sbharris@ix.RETICULATEDOBJECTcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med
Subject: Re: Colon bacteria
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 16:38:07 -0700

"Luke" <leukemia101@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20020202173412.26658.00000788@mb-fu.aol.com...
> Anyone know how to get bacteria back in the colon once they have been
> stripped by antibiotics? Taking lactobacillus pills help but don't cure
> the problem.
> Luke

COMMENT:

Well, there's always fecal enemas from a donor. It's been shown to work. For
some reason, hasn't caught on as standard treatment. Few pharmaceutical
backers, I suppose.  But it's reasonable.

Your own flora mix will return eventually, expanded from pockets in your
bowel, and also as picked up from other people. Unless you live in a bubble.
You can speed this process up by licking seats in public restrooms, one
presumes.  But again, this hasn't caught on as standard medical
recommendation. It would make perfect sense to a cow or a termite, but we
humans tend to be squeamish.

Helpfully,

SBH

Index Home About Blog