Index Home About Blog
From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med,sci.med.nursing,sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.nutrition,
	misc.health.alternative
Subject: Re: Antioxidants in the treatment of idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy
Date: 23 Aug 2005 18:44:06 -0700

George Cherry wrote:
> Raw hides, Kongs, or Nylabones?

These are all very quickly chewed into small bits which are impossible
to mechanically sieve from dog feces. They then clog the drains after
pressure washing the kennel floors. Been there, done that.

SBH

From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med,sci.med.nursing,sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.nutrition,
	misc.health.alternative
Date: 23 Aug 2005 20:07:14 -0700

They chew actual tires to pieces in days. Any kind of large dog in a 8
x 12 foot stainless steel cage, with nothing else to do for 18 or 20
hours a day but bark and nuzzle dogs in the adjacent cages, or perhaps
a companion dog in the same cage (which sometimes indeed does get
chewed-- just sutured one the other day), will chew up absolutely
anything not made of coated steel. You'd be amazed. We've tried various
ploys, and haven't stopped looking. Our USDA inspector hasn't any good
answers, either, nor does AALAS. Most kennels keep their animals on
large areas of outdoor gravel, and do provide chew-toys (which are
destroyed in due time). But that's not an option for us.

SBH

From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med,sci.med.nursing,sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.nutrition,
	misc.health.alternative
Date: 24 Aug 2005 17:23:48 -0700

O'Hush wrote:
> Understand I'm just curious -- I'm sure you've tried everything.  What's
> wrong with rawhides?  Don't they just get digested?  How 'bout knuckle bones
> or ham bones?

Rawhide gets chewed into strips and clogs drains. You can grate-protect
drains but not perfectly-- the dog feces has to go down. We had the
most remarkable sewer clog built around large beef marrow type bones
we'd given. They hate Nylabones. Knucklebones are a thought-- can you
buy them?

SBH

From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med,sci.med.nursing,sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.nutrition,
	misc.health.alternative
Date: 25 Aug 2005 11:39:43 -0700

O'Hush wrote:

> > Rawhide gets chewed into strips and clogs drains. You can grate-protect
> > drains but not perfectly-- the dog feces has to go down. We had the
> > most remarkable sewer clog built around large beef marrow type bones
> > we'd given. They hate Nylabones. Knucklebones are a thought-- can you
> > buy them?
> >
> > SBH
>
> You can.  Here's a pile.
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=knuckle+bones
>
> They have them at Petsmart online, so you can probably get them in the store
> locally.  They're very hard.
> http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441775714

COMMENT:

Cool. We'll try them!  I thank you, the dogs thank you. Will let you
know how it works.

SBH

Newsgroups: sci.med,sci.med.nursing,sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.nutrition,
	misc.health.alternative
From: wright@l1000.prodigy.net (David Wright)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 02:56:10 GMT

In article <1124995352.982377.226310@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>George Cherry wrote:
>> How about Knuckleheads?
>> (They're a dime a dozen on usenet).
>>
>> GWC
>

>COMMENT:
>
>And useful for diversion and keeping the teeth sharp here also.

Unfortunately, the heads contain too much fat for them to be
nutritionally sound.

  -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
     "If you meet the Buddha on the net, put him in your killfile."
                                 -- Anon.

Index Home About Blog