Index Home About Blog
From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: misc.fitness.weights,sci.med.nutrition
Subject: Re: Drinking Egg Yolks?
Date: 18 Jul 2005 14:22:22 -0700

NYC XYZ wrote:
> Is that still being done?
>
> How about egg whites?  They really have no taste at all, but they pack
> a great wallop of protein...would it be okay/safe/wise to just gulp
> them down like milk in the morning?  Or must they be cooked?  I'm
> talking about those Egg Beaters and such, the liquid egg whites in a
> little carton...I bought a bunch of 'em on sale but discover that I
> have to be more of a chef than I care to be in order to actually enjoy
> chewing them.
>
> Is it all right to skip the cooking and just slurp them quickly down?

COMMENT:

The Egg Beaters are a lot safer than raw egg, being pasteurized.

Plain raw eggs have a tiny risk of giving you salmonella. This is
inside the egg, so you can't wash it off.

Most healthy people will get away with it. A few with the wrong immune
systems won't.

Does the risk from cooking the egg thoroughly (yolk solid), and
oxidizing the cholesterol, outweigh the tiny risk from salmonella if
you eat it soft boiled, sunny side up, or just plain raw, so you DON'T
oxidize the cholesterol?  No doubt that depends on your coronary artery
disease risk, vs. how good your immune system is.

If you have any question about the trade-off, just drink the Egg
Beaters. It will have less salmonella (even raw), and NO cholesterol.

SBH

From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: misc.fitness.weights,sci.med.nutrition
Date: 18 Jul 2005 21:15:28 -0700

MildredFleener@gmail.com wrote:
> >Plain raw eggs have a tiny risk of giving you salmonella. This is
> inside the egg, so you can't wash it off.>
>
> If you are informed, you'd know eggs have a HUGE amount of salmonella
> in them. Also if you saw the egg expose on TV you'd have seen them
> repackaging eggs that were long outdated. You take your life in your
> hands eating sunnyside up, nevermind raw.

COMMENT:

I said you have a tiny risk of salmonella, and that is correct.

The idea that you take your life in your hands when you eat an egg
sunnyside up, is probably literally true. But trite. You take your life
in your hands when you go on a Sunday drive. So what?

SBH

Index Home About Blog