Index Home About Blog
From: "Steve Harris" <sbharris@ix.RETICULATEDOBJECTcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition,sci.bio.ecology,rec.food.veg,sci.environment,
	uk.business.agriculture
Subject: Re: Meat Production is Making the Rich Ill and the Poor Hungry
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 12:22:45 -0600

"Michelle Fulton" <mhfulton36@prodigy.net> wrote in message
news:6F2L8.8330$FL7.386978956@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com...

> "Jim Webster" <jim@everyone.knows.where.by.now> wrote in message
> >
> > we kill grass fed cattle and the fat is hard at ordinary room
> > temperatures. (50 to 60 F, no problem) if you go higher, towards blood
> > heat then all animal fats should be pretty sloshy, this is done to save
> > the embarassment of having your body  set solid on you.
> > --
>
> LOL!  That would be a terrible thing, wouldn't it!?

COMMENT

Indeed it would. It's NOT an accident that cold water fish are full of the
most exquisitely polyunsaturated fats, with the lowest solidification
temperatures of all.

If you fed arctic seals and polar bears lard and let them live in the
climates where they DO live, you might get seal and polar bear sculpture...

On the other hand, feeding hogs high fish-fat diets has been tried, and the
bacon comes out an oily blobby mess which looks a litttle like the fresh
filet on sushi. This doesn't hurt the pigs if they get enough vitamin E, but
the consumers of bacon don't like it at all. Which is too bad, since it
would be a lot better for them.

SBH

From: "Steve Harris" <sbharris@ix.RETICULATEDOBJECTcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition,sci.bio.ecology,rec.food.veg,sci.environment,
	uk.business.agriculture
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 23:30:58 -0600

"Hua Kul" <gmp@adres.nl> wrote in message

> > > LOL!  That would be a terrible thing, wouldn't it!?
> >

> > COMMENT
> >
> > Indeed it would. It's NOT an accident that cold water fish are full of
> > the most exquisitely polyunsaturated fats, with the lowest
> > solidification temperatures of all.
> >
> > If you fed arctic seals and polar bears lard and let them live in the
> > climates where they DO live, you might get seal and polar bear
> > sculpture...
>
> Well, probably not, since they're mammals.  If their body temperature
> varied by more than a few degrees either way they would die.

COMMENT:

That's their CORE temperature. Their skin and fat/blubber temperatures are
very different things.

Extremity temperatures can do amazing things in artic mammals also. Suggest
you do some reading.

Index Home About Blog