Index Home About Blog
From: "Steve Harris" <SBHarris123@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Subject: George Washingon Carver's Revenge (was re: tryptophan)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:42:38 -0600

"John 'the Man'" <DeMan@NaturalHealthPerspective.com> wrote in message
news:TTIE6.214$Q92.42112@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net...
> <taurusrc@pacbell.net> wrote ...
>
> > I started having a glass of milk and a peanut butter sandwich before
> > bedtime and it really helped me go to sleep.
>
> Peanut butter seems to be more and more a healthy food!  I guess the trick
> would be to locate a source without TFAs!!!
>
> And, YES, ... I have read all about fungus and peanuts!!!!

COMMENT: but it's not the fungus that is the major problem, but rather the
fact that the fats in peanuts are more atherogenic than you'd expect from
the polyunsaturates in the average nut. This is due to some odd metabolic
properties of the particular triglycerides in peanuts, not the
polyunsaturates themselves. (If you could de-esterify and randomly
re-esterify the fats in peanuts, they'd be a lot better for you). Meanwhile,
I would suggest an almond butter or hazelnut butter sandwich with that skim
milk. Tastes better and is better for you.

And the average consumer will find he's been passing up the *other* nut
butters for years in the store isles and never noticing them.

Steve Harris

From: "Steve Harris" <SBHarris123@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 01:51:29 -0600

"DRCEEPHD" <drceephd@aol.com> wrote in message

> Pardoan mon-sewer.  All fats are esters.  They have the glycerol molecule
>and three fatty acids attached via the ester linkagaes.  In normal
>digestion the fats are digested in the small intestine where the lipase
>reduces the fats to the glycerol molecule and the three fatty acids.

Bzzt.  Wrong. Actually in humans this normally doesn't go all the way, and
the 2-monoglycerate is the main product absorbed. That means that you don't
get to fully tinker with whatever fatty acid is in the 2-position, and it
can act to influence things later on.

> The body, our body, then
> reforns the fat molecule according to its dictates.  Our body is
> de-esterifying the fats and re-esterifying the fats.

Not completely.

> What the heck are you saying?
> Dr. C. PhD

Something you obviously are having a hard time understanding.

> Of what significance is the arrangement of the fatty acid as it appears
> in the peanut oil as it is produced by the peanut?

Nobody knows for sure, but it's an interesting research topic. It certainly
does have significance, and I've explained to you one reason why it might.
For other theories you'll just have to read the literature. When you're not
out on your tropical island catching fish with your hands.

Lipids 1999 Dec;34(12):1305-11

Effect of peanut oil and randomized peanut oil on cholesterol and oleic acid
absorption, transport, and distribution in the lymph of the rat.

Satchithanandam S, Flynn TJ, Calvert RJ, Kritchevsky D

Division of Science and Applied Technology, US Food and Drug Administration,
Laurel, Maryland 20708, USA. sxs@cssan.fda.gov

Peanut oil was shown to be atherogenic in cholesterol-fed rats, rabbits,
and monkeys. However, after randomization, a process in which the fatty
acids in peanut oil are randomly rearranged, its atherogenicity was
significantly reduced in cholesterol-fed rabbits and monkeys. The
mechanism for this effect remains unknown. This study was designed to
investigate whether the absorption, transport and distribution of dietary
cholesterol and oleic acid in the lymph were altered in the presence of
peanut oil or randomized peanut oil.  Previous investigators collected
lymph through the mesenteric duct for 6 h and analyzed lymph for
cholesterol. In the present study, lymph fluids were collected at timed
intervals for up to 8 h and then at 24 h via the thoracic duct.
Cholesterol and oleic acid (fatty acid) were estimated not only in the
whole lymph but also in lymph lipoprotein fractions and in major lipid
fractions.  A 24-h lymph collection will enhance accuracy as short-term
fluctuations in lipid absorption will not affect the results. Thoracic
duct lymph collection is quantitative compared to mesenteric duct lymph
collection, which provides only a fraction of the total lymph. Rats were
given a lipid emulsion containing either peanut oil or randomized peanut
oil. The emulsion also contained cholesterol, oleic acid, and sodium
taurocholate in saline and was given through a duodenal catheter. Results
show that absorption, transport, and distribution of cholesterol and
oleic acid in the lymph fluids were similar in both dietary groups. These
results suggest that the atherogenicity of peanut oil may be due to other
events taking place subsequent to the release of cholesterol-containing
chylomicrons and very low density lipoprotein by the small intestinal
epithelial cells into the blood or may be due to the triglyceride
structure itself.

PMID: 10652990

Lipids 1984 Jan;19(1):11-6

The absorption and transport of dietary cholesterol in the presence of
peanut oil or randomized peanut oil.

Tso P, Pinkston G, Klurfeld DM, Kritchevsky D

Peanut oil has been shown to be unexpectedly atherogenic for
cholesterol-fed rats, rabbits and rhesus monkeys. However, randomization
(rearrangement of fatty acids to random distribution) of peanut oil
significantly reduced its atherogenicity for rabbits and monkeys. This
study was conducted to investigate whether the absorption and transport
of dietary cholesterol was altered in the presence of peanut oil or
randomized peanut oil, thereby accounting for the difference in the
atherogenicity of the two diets. Intestinal lymph fistula rats were
infused intraduodenally with a lipid emulsion at a rate of 3 ml/hr. The
lipid emulsion contained either peanut oil (control) or randomized peanut
oil (experimental) (10 mM), 14C-cholesterol (1.3 mM) and sodium
taurocholate (19 mM) in phosphate-buffered saline, pH 6.4. Lymph
triglyceride, cholesterol and phospholipid outputs were similar in both
groups of rats during fasting and subsequently during lipid infusion.
Comparable recovery of 14C-cholesterol from the intestinal lumen and the
intestinal mucosa of the control and the experimental rats showed that
the absorption and transport of dietary cholesterol were similar in both
groups of rats. Analyses of the fatty acid of both lymph and intestinal
mucosal lipid again failed to reveal a difference between the 2 groups of
rats. It is concluded that the difference in the atherogenicity between
the peanut oil and the randomized peanut oil is probably caused by events
subsequent to the release of cholesterol containing chylomicrons and very
low density lipoproteins by the small intestinal epithelial cells.

PMID: 6708743

From: "Steve Harris" <SBHarris123@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 02:57:04 -0600

> "Steve Harris" <SBHarris123@ix.netcom.com> wrote ...
>
> > "John 'the Man'" <DeMan@NaturalHealthPerspective.com> wrote ...
>
> > > Peanut butter seems to be more and more a healthy food!  I guess the
> > > trick would be to locate a source without TFAs!!!
>
> > COMMENT: but it's not the fungus that is the major problem, but rather
> > the fact that the fats in peanuts are more atherogenic than you'd
> > expect from the polyunsaturates in the average nut.
>
> > This is due to some odd metabolic
> > properties of the particular triglycerides in peanuts, not the
> > polyunsaturates themselves.
>
> Do these 'properties' adversely affect
>   LDL,
>   HDL, and/or
>   Triglycerides
> in your blood plasma?
> --
> John Gohde,

Good question. I don't know. I only know they affect your chances of getting
atherosclerosis as an endpoint. Can't guarantee you the blood markers will
all track it. Since the mechanism is still unknown, my guess is that some of
them do not. Otherwise they'd have a better idea of HOW these things were so
nasty.

From: "Fred Thomas" <fredt@stellartron.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:13:34 -0500

Steve Harris <SBHarris123@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> Good question. I don't know. I only know they affect your chances of
> getting atherosclerosis as an endpoint. Can't guarantee you the blood
> markers will all track it. Since the mechanism is still unknown, my
> guess is that some of them do not. Otherwise they'd have a better idea
> of HOW these things were so nasty.

Another theory is that lectin may be to blame.

Lipids 1998 Aug;33(8):821-3
Lectin may contribute to the atherogenicity of peanut oil.
Kritchevsky D, Tepper SA, Klurfeld DM.
The Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA.
kritchevsky@wista.wistar.upenn.edu

Peanut oil is unexpectedly atherogenic for rats, rabbits, and primates.
The lesions it produces are more fibrous than fatty. The mechanism
underlying the atherogenicity of peanut oil has been elusive.
Randomization of peanut oil reduces significantly its atherogenic
properties, but native and randomized peanut oils have similar rates of
lipolysis, and rats fed the two oils absorb and transport lipids in a
similar fashion. Peanut oil differs from other oils in having a
relatively high lectin content, and the randomization process markedly
reduces the lectin content as well. The biologically active lectin of
peanut oil has an affinity for glycoproteins found specifically on
arterial smooth muscle cells. Peanut lectin has been shown to stimulate
growth of smooth muscle and pulmonary arterial cells. Vigorous washing of
peanut oil reduces its lectin content by 46%. Compared to rabbits fed
cholesterol and peanut oil, rabbits fed cholesterol and washed peanut oil
exhibited less severe atherosclerosis in the aortic arch (by 9%) and in
the thoracic aorta (by 31%). The data suggest that peanut oils'
endogenous lectin may contribute significantly to its atherogenic
properties.

PMID: 9727614

From: "Steve Harris" <sbharris@ix.RETICULATEDOBJECTcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Subject: Re: Nut butter
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 18:33:50 GMT

Sandy wrote in message ...

>In case you missed it, the bread and wife's cooking were merely
>exemplifying the simplicity of varying the diet to include many
>ingredients in the one dish. A Thai or Chinese meal will likely
>contain amongst many other things several types of nuts including
>almonds, cashew, and even peanuts and coconut. You surely are not
>advocating picking the few peanuts out just coz some obscure paper
>finds a tentative connection with a particular ailment?

No, you simply order the dish without peanuts. I've ordered many a fine Thai
meal in many fine Thai restaurant in cities across the country, and have yet
to encounter one which couldn't or wouldn't leave the peanuts and/or peanut
sauce out a dish, on request. They cook these things individually on the
spot, don't you know. You can get it your way, because a Thai restaurant is
not McDonald's. (There are a few dishes where the peanut sauce is the core
of the dish-- but I assume that nobody would want to order one of those
without the peanuts, any more than you'd want to order Peking Duck without
the duck. But your average Pad Thai or Pad Wan-sen is easy to get without
peanuts).

Of course, that's not safe to do if you're peanut allergic, but it does fine
for the purposes of which we are speaking here. No, I don't think the amount
of peanuts I'd otherwise be getting in Thai food is significant. However, on
the other hand, I don't like their taste that much, and it's not that
difficult to have them removed.

SBH

--
I welcome email from any being clever enough to fix my address. It's open
book.  A prize to the first spambot that passes my Turing test.

Index Home About Blog