Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Subject: Re: Osteomyelitis - Culture and Drug Resistant
Date: 22 May 1997
Newsgroups: sci.med,sci.med.pathology,sci.med.dentistry

In <864241102.28670@dejanews.com> homerite@xyz.net writes:

>I have osteomyelitis of the facial bones.  I have had it for nine years
>but was only diagnosed last year.  So far the bacteria won't culture and
>none of the antibiotics are working (we have also used antifungals). My
>surgeon has removed bone three times but never removes all of the osteo
>because he doesn't want to collapse my face.  I need to find a physician
>who can help me. This disease is very painful and I would like for it to
>end. Anyone?

   Have you added rifampin to the empiric mix?  Rifampin is special in
that it gets into spaces where antibiotics generally don't go, being
concentrated and carried by neutrophils.  It should never be used
alone, but is a great adjunct for abscesses, osteomyelitis, etc.  It
has to be taken on a completely empty stomach with only water, and if
your urine doesn't turn orange, you didn't take it right.  Many months
of therapy has been used safely with TB, and the same should go for
osteomyelitis.  Rifampin used with Ciprofloxacin, because of the fact
that both work on DNA replication, should be an especially effective
combination-- in theory.

                                         Steve Harris, M.D.

Index Home About Blog