Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Subject: Re: Armour Thyroid Therapy: Detoxifying properties?
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997
Newsgroups: misc.health.alternative

In <876724103.37402@wagasa.cts.com> nexus@king.cts.com (Alan Pollock)
writes:

>Is Armour thyroid what Proloid used to be before its production was
>stopped (due to insufficient demand, I believe)? Nex

Dunno, but I doubt it.  Armour thyroid extract has been around for a
LONG time.  It's one of the originals.  It's the same Armour that makes
hotdogs, you know.  Trimming pork is an art, and if you don't get the
thyroid out of the neck muscle trimmings, people who eat them get VERY
sick (there have been epidemics of hyperthyroidism caused by
incompetent butchers making thyroid-containing hamburger).  Armour ends
up with a lot of thyroid tissue as a byproduct of meatpacking, and it
turns it into extract, and has for a long time.  There's nothing wrong
with the product, but it's sort of outdated by now and a little bit
silly.  Why subject your body to fixed doses of the two thyroid
hormones T4 and T3?  They almost certainly are not going to be what
your body would make on its own-- for if you get one right, the other
is going to be wrong.  Better to supply only T4 and let your bod decide
how much T3 to make.  That's what you do with the synthetics, which are
T4.  (There's a synthetic T3, but it's used for other purposes).

                                      Steve Harris, M.D.

Index Home About Blog