Index Home About Blog
From: Gary Coffman <ke4zv@bellsouth.net>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: HELP: How to soldering AL and CU plates?
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 11:56:39 -0500

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 15:11:55 +0900, "HaeWoon Lee" <heti@soback.kornet.net> wrote:
>I am an electrical engineering backgrounded personal, have a problem to bond
>cupper claded printed circuit board on one inch square size of Aluminum
>base. Do you have any experience to share with me?

Tin the aluminum under oil, then solder as normal.

Aluminum normally won't accept regular solder. That's because
of the oxide coating on its surface. By covering the surface with
oil, you can scrape away the oxide coating while preventing oxygen
getting to the surface and reforming it. You can then tin the surface
with an iron, through the oil coating, and get a proper bond. Then
you can clean the oil off and solder as usual.

This is a home shop technique. There are probably better solutions
in a production environment.

Gary
Gary Coffman KE4ZV  | You make it  |mail to ke4zv@bellsouth.net
534 Shannon Way     | We break it  |
Lawrenceville, GA   | Guaranteed   |

From: Gary Coffman <ke4zv@bellsouth.net>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 19:03:44 -0500

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 16:57:27 GMT, "Ed Huntress" <mike234@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
>>>Tin the aluminum under oil, then solder as normal.<<
>
>What kind of oil do you use? Does this work for you with 2024?

I use mineral oil, but ordinary motor oil will work, smokes a bit though.