Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: A challenge for the BEST of you.
From: Robert Bastow <Teenut@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 17:07:51 GMT

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

>How much would you expect a 1/16" hole to drift going through 12" of
>steel? Would it depend on the quality of the steel (something like P20
>having less inclusions and being better?)

As in all things Spehro...It all depends!!

First of all, 1/16" dia x 12" is an awfully deep hole and not the sort of hole I
would expect to see in an oilhole drill.  Most of these are not much longer than
standard drills   I have one that is 1.093" dia x 8" long and the oil holes are
about 3/16" dia.

Having said that I am sure that it can be done.  I have watched .177" dia holes
being gundrilled through a 22" rifle barrel with no problem.

Getting to the "it all depends" bit...Obviously there are a number of factors.
Gun drills have to be set up DEAD true and have to be started DEAD tru into the
cut.  This is achieved by either pre-boring a starting hole to dead size and 2-5
x hole diameter, or, more usually by using a hardened and ground starting
bushing.

The question also arises as to whether the part or the drill is rotated...or in
some cases BOTH.  Obviously if the part is rotated the setup is inherently far
more accurate as the drill head is constantly self centering.

Given all that the forces that tend to push the drill of center include using a
too high feed rate, insuficient oilpressure sothat chips jam and blunt or
chipped drill head.

By FAR the most common cause is variations..Hard or soft sponts in the
material.  Remember my oft used statement, to the effect that NOTHING is
perfect, we are in a situation in gundrilling where we are "pushing the
envelope" and everything had better be as close to perfect as possible.

To this end, manufacturers of custom gun barrels go to inordinate lengths to
ensure consistancy in thier raw materials which will be specially rolled and
normalised. On receipt the bars will be checked, straightened and re-heat
treated.

Given that, runouts and straightness are expected to be within pretty tight
limits.  Even so there is a selection process for "Premium" barrels.

Gun drilling is a facinating and versatile process..did you know that
overlapping "8" shaped holes can be done quite easily.  In this respect the
gundrill is similar to a woodworkers "Forstner" bit.

Robert Bastow

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <Teenut@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:55:47 GMT

The ones I saw being made were forged to a straight flute section before being
drilled.

They were then flash butt welded to a shank before being heated by an induction
coil and twisted.

The assembly was then machined, heat treated and finish ground.

Don't forget that , in Industry, processes that we might find incredibly
difficult to imagine, are carried out daily, with casual aplomb.

It would also be possible to extrude the required twist drill section, holes,
flutes, twist, and all.  If anything, extruding a STRAIGHT section is more
difficult!!

Robert Bastow

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Boring a gun barrel (long)
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 00:50:10 GMT

Jacob, you covered the subject beautifully..especially the bit about extreme
attention to detail.  Above all else in deep hole drilling..There ain't much
room for mistakes.

teenut..who has made most of 'em!!

Index Home About Blog