Index Home About Blog
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Setting dial on calipers
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 03:40:07 GMT

Yes John, no need to tear it all apart..but you do need to be able to slide the
head off the end of the rack.

The little retainer bar, at the end of the measuring bar is usually held on with
a couple of little screws..at least on older models.  On newer models it is a
plastic piece with moulded on rivets. These can be popped loose easily with a
small punch.

Slide the head right off the bar and take th opportunity to thouroughly clean
the rack.  Now slide the head back on, right up to the closed position.  Needle
on zero?  If not, slide it briskly off and re-install it.  Still not zeroed..try
again.  Usually two or three iterations will pick up the pinion in the right
position to zero the needle.

Dial calipers are real convenient to use..but they do have a habit of jumping
zero when they pick up the slightest fleck of dust in the rack. A classic
example of design, contrary to Murphy's laws!

For that reason, I will not allow them to be used for finished measurement of
any kind in my shop!  I have seen too many parts, beautifully finished, to
several thou over or under nominal size!

teenut
(You have to learn most things the hard way!!)

John Jacobs wrote:

> I was cleaning up my shop tonight and I found a long lost pair of
> Mititoyo 8" dial calipers. I'm familiar with the tool used to set the
> dial back, but this set doesn't have the slot in the back. Right now
> zero is at about six o'clock. Is there anyway short of tearing the whole
> thing apart to reset zero to 12 o'clock?
> Thanks
> John Jacobs

Index Home About Blog