Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Enameling steel
From: John De Armond
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 94 09:53:18 GMT

wwebster@bnr.ca (Bill Webster) writes:

>I had my tub repaired once by a plumber.  I asked him what the material was
>that he was using.  He said it was a powered porcelain and that I couldn't
>buy it anywhere.  Apparently, plumbers pay a pretty hefty union fee to keep
>this stuff off the market so the do-it-yourselfers can't put them out
>of a job.  Oddly enough, he mixed it with water and cured it with a
>hair dryer.  He said not to use the tub for 48 hours.  Well, those little
>dings are still hidden by that excellent repair.  The tub is 6 years old
>now. BTW, the powder came in many colors.

ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!  Union dues to keep a product off the market?
Where does this stuff come from?  This should make your absurdity
alarm go full tilt immediately.  This stuff is NOT porcelain.
It is a polymer.  An epoxy-type porcelain repair kit is available
off the shelf from Home Depot or any plumbing supply company.
Real porcelain is a glass which must be fired.  Period.

Metal enamels, which is more likely what the original guy is interested
in, are also glass-based but fire at a lower temperature and are easier
to use.  They are available in artistic quantities from any number of
jewelry supply sources.  Try Ed Hoy's (check 800 dir assistance).
If he wants real porcelain, tell him to go to the library and look
in the Thomas Register.  There are many suppliers.

John

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: John De Armond
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 94 07:31:03 GMT

johnric@saturn.wwc.edu (RICHARD ALLAN JOHNSON) writes:

>	I have seen enamel powders in certain jewelry supply catalogs.  I
>don't remember which or how much but if I remember correctly they were
>basically crushed glass that you mixed with something and heated till it
>melted.  Try calling jewelry supply shops in phone books for info. on
>suppliers.

I forgot this in my previous post.  Another source of small quantities of
very high quality white and near white enamel and porcelean is the
dental supply store.  The nice part is it comes with instructions
that the complete idiot can follow.

John

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.misc,rec.crafts.jewelry,rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Peach Glaze?
From: John De Armond
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 94 21:16:31 GMT

John@fish.demon.co.uk (John D Gilhooly) writes:

>"I'm looking for a recipie for a matt Peach or Orange glaze. It should be a
> 1280 degrees Centigrade firing and non-toxic. It must be a matt so an
> underglaze wouldn't do."

>Okay, I've been telling my non-net friends what a magical thing Internet can
>be, so can any of you out there on the wires help?

We're magical but we can't read minds.  I need a bunch more information
before I can recommend an enamel.  What is the substrate?  Vitally
important to match the expansion coefficient.  Is the 1280 deg C spec
a "not greater than", "must be" or "minimum" spec?  That is an awfully
high temperature for enamels used used in glass, ceramic and metal
jewelry.  Why does it need to be non-toxic?  Is it going to be in
contact with a food product or is this just a feely-good marketing-oriented
spec?

FWIW, any enamel can be made matt with the simple addition of silicon
flour (finely ground silicon dioxide).  This is a common ingredient used
in ceramic and glass studios.