Index Home About Blog
From: Robert Bastow <teenutNOSPAM@home.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Steam engine: Boring and drilling, fits and fits
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 19:55:48 GMT

If it "slides in with slight stickiness" it is pretty damn close to .500"  Maybe
a couple of tenths over.

If it were .002" over you would be able to throw it in from across the room.

If you want to bore rr turn to dead dimensions..don't rely on your feedscrews
and indices...Set up a "tenth" reading dial indicator on the axis in question
and work to that.  Thus you will be able to withdraw the tool and return it to
the same place with some reasonable assurance that it IS the same place!

teenut

John Hofstad-Parkhill wrote:
> My pin gauge at .500"+ fits the
> bore. My understanding is that were the bore .500" and the pin gauge .500"
> then I'd have a hell of a time getting the gauge to fit the hole, with all
> those other damn molecules interfering. As it is, the pin gauge fits with a
> slight, um... stickyness. It's pretty close is the best I can describe. So
> I'm guessing the bore is .502" or so.

Index Home About Blog