Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Flux for silver solder?
From: kimberln@crl.com (J. Kimberlin)
Date: 21 Feb 1995 17:56:25 -0800

In article <3idi0v$ooc@aimnet1.aimnet.com> kopfj@aimnet.aimnet.com (John O. Kopf) writes:
>In article <3icq7c$e0o@cambridge.village.com>
>richer@cambridge.village.com (Al Richer) writes:
>
>> What IS silver solder flux? Borax? -ajr
>
>A reasonable approximation is grovery-store borax, wetted with boric
>acid (eye-wash) from the drug store.

Seems to me that this would work OK.  Generic borax is sodium borate and
acidifying it with boric acid would be logical.

Some silver solder fluxs are sodium fluoborate, however.  These contain
fluorine and carry a warning on the label "contains fluorides."  Probably
good for getting under glassy oxides such as those on silicon and
aluminum bronze which are normally difficult to silver solder using
ordinary borax flux.

JerryK

Index Home About Blog