Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: dropped my southbend lathe.
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 06:17:06 GMT

Different folks, different strokes!!

I prefer SOLID handles on handwheels..Unless a revolving handle is on something
like pre-loaded ABEC 7 bearings, I find that the incipient looseness spoils the
"Feel" of the machine.

My fingers are usually greasy enough, that a solid handle doesn't present a
friction problem.

Have you ever noticed that precision lathes..built without regard to
cost...usually have non-rotating handles on the balanced ball handles?

Ever wondered why?

;^)

teenut

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 13:35:20 GMT

Not Rosewood but Buffalo Horn..always the sign of top quality on older,
precision lathes.

Most of the lever knobs on my Maximat are nasty black plastic with a roughly
tapered form.  I replaced the tailstock lock lever with a longer one in 416 SS
and added an elegantly tapered knob in black/marbled Indian Water Buffalo horn.

What a difference it makes!!

You can buy this material in the form of 1" and 1 1/4" diameter sticks, about 5"
long, from Knifemaker's Suppliers.  About $8.00 a stick.

I would certainly consider puting revolving handles of this material on my
feedscrew handwheels..but not without the aforesaid preloaded bearings.  Maybe
not ABEC 7  ;^)  But certainly preloaded, to remove all trace of shake!

teenut

Marshall Pharoah wrote:

> I thought I was on to a big moneymaker with rosewood and brass
> replacements.  The retrofit market.  If you can hop up your car, why not
> your lathe.
>
> Marshall
>
> Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ClBc4.2068$Bd7.20950@news.rdc1.tn.home.com...
> > Different folks, different strokes!!
> >
> > I prefer SOLID handles on handwheels..Unless a revolving handle is on
> > something like pre-loaded ABEC 7 bearings, I find that the incipient
> > looseness spoils the "Feel" of the machine.
> >
> > My fingers are usually greasy enough, that a solid handle doesn't present a
> > friction problem.
> >
> > Have you ever noticed that precision lathes..built without regard to
> > cost...usually have non-rotating handles on the balanced ball handles?
> >
> > Ever wondered why?
> >
> > ;^)
> >
> > teenut

Index Home About Blog