Index Home About Blog
From: Robert Bastow <teenutNOSPAM@home.com>
Subject: Re: Center to center measuring
Date: 30 Aug 1999
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking

IF you WERE being a Purist....You would take both outside AND inside dimensions
(of the rods) with gage blocks,not a caliper, add or subtract the rod
diam..etc,  and then take the MEAN of the two results.

The reason for this being that the pins are never an EXACT fit in the holes an
wll "lean" in or out depending on the direction and pressure of measurement.

Using this technique will give a reasonably accurate center distance..even if
the pins are a bit "Sloppy"

Teenut

Eastburn wrote:

> Being a purist - I'd put a precision rod into each hole. [requires 2 sets ;-)]
> Measure with a trusted and true caliper.

Index Home About Blog