Index Home About Blog
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: How to make a hollow mill?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 05:31:42 GMT

How many do you need to do?  Between one and few dozen off?

Drill and ream a suitable core hole in a length of drill rod.  File or mill four
teeth in the end, leave a narrow land on the tip of each tooth.

Harden in oil or water..depending on steel type, polish and temper back to
medium straw.  Hone cutting clearance on the lips,  Run at 100 SFPM or less,
with lots of coolant.

I have made hollow mills for running down STEEL bolts, by these methods..and run
HUNDREDS of parts before needing to touch up the edges.

Be not afraid!

teenut

Tom Holt wrote:

> > On Sun, 27 Feb 2000 19:42:27 GMT, jflangan@usit.net (John Flanagan)
> > wrote:
>
> > >I need to mill a small post with a shoulder and would like to do so in
> > >one plunging operation.  The material is brass so a HSS mill is fine.
> > >The question is what is the best way to go about hollowing out the end
> > >of the end mill?
>
> How about buying a cheap endmill, annealing it, boring it out on the
> lathe in the usual way, rehardening and retempering? Ought to do for
> cutting brass.

Index Home About Blog