Index Home About Blog
From: mikegraham@sprint.ca (Mike Graham)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: drill sharpening FAQ?(new topic)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:09:29 GMT

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 04:36:47 GMT, Jens wrote:

>Why is a keyless one better than a keyed chuck ???? I would have
>thought that in a production environment you would want a keyed chuck
>since you can really tighten them down. (no, I have never used a
>keyless one ....)

  There are two kinds of keyless chucks.  The first kind is the kind found
on reversible hand drills wherein the 'fingers' don't rotate as you tighten
and loosen the chuck.  These are no great roaring hell, but they work.  The
other kind is the Albrecht/Rohm style, and on it the fingers *do* rotate
with the sleeve when  you tighten and loosen.  This means that the force on
the drill bit causes it to tighten.  The more force exerted on the bit, the
harder the chuck hangs on.  It's a beautiful thing.  The drawback (and it
*can* be a serious drawback) is that this style of keyless chuck *cannot*
work with a reversed drill.  If the drill runs in reverse it will loosen the
chuck.

--
Mike Graham, mikegraham at sprint dot ca
Caledon, Ontario, Canada (just NW of Toronto).

Raiser of animals.  Weldor of metals.  Driver of off-road vehicles.
Writer of FAQs.  Keeper of the faith, and all around okay guy.

Index Home About Blog